Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 09-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #11
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
It's horrible when our animals turn into pensioners, I'm sure you are already making his life as comfortable as possible, I've had my rescue hamster for 6 months now and I don't know how old she is or how long she's got especially as their life span for dwarfs are only 2 years.

Emma, sorry to hear about your bunny, its so upsetting to lose an animal xxx
Thank you Bev. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
Rowan
Sub Adult

Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!

I know he's only a hamster but I do love him.

His eyes have been checked out when he has his nails done. I have to take him to have them snipped at the vets every 2 months and I asked them then and they said as he's sleeping more they will stick together.

Knew I'd get great advice and support from you guys.

He's still going and he's having warm porridge as I type, spoon fed by my OH lol.....

Sorry to hear about your rabbit Emma, they really are part of your family.
xxxxx
Old 09-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #13
emma_mcraf
Adult

Yes, they really are family Row. It sounds as if your gorgeous little hamster is having the very best of care. He's clearly loved and adored by you all. We are lucky to be blessed with having such special pets in our lives.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #14
Pussygalore
Adult

I had a freind who had several hamsters and many of them made it to 6years old so it is possible, when we had ours I read so many different things about them and the variety of foods they can have makes the hamster mix seem very 'lacking'. We tried ours on a cricket and she turned into a real little hunter chasing it down and then munched all of it with almost a big grin on her face, apparently they are quite good hunters in the wild but must use sound and smell as their eye sight isn't that good. Its worth having a look at some of the lists of food they will eat as its almost as varied as the tort lists, there are those owners who are as interested in hamsters ways and diets the same as us and our torts.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #15
Rowan
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore View Post
I had a freind who had several hamsters and many of them made it to 6years old so it is possible, when we had ours I read so many different things about them and the variety of foods they can have makes the hamster mix seem very 'lacking'. We tried ours on a cricket and she turned into a real little hunter chasing it down and then munched all of it with almost a big grin on her face, apparently they are quite good hunters in the wild but must use sound and smell as their eye sight isn't that good. Its worth having a look at some of the lists of food they will eat as its almost as varied as the tort lists, there are those owners who are as interested in hamsters ways and diets the same as us and our torts.
That's really interesting! 6 years old, wow!!!! That's really old. Maybe I shouldn't be counting down his days quite so soon.....

He has dried meal worms but I've never tried him with live food. He has some of the torts weeds too, veggies, pasta, egg, cheese, raisons and his hamster mix and try to make it as varied as possible and of course his favourite, porridge!!

Like I say he's still going, he's alert just wobberly on his legs. He's due another pedicure in the next week or so so will ask the vet again how she thinks he's doing.

thanks again for all the tips, advise and support xxxx
Old 10-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #16
Pussygalore
Adult

I found this as one example and grasshoppers, crickets are listed as just one, its sad that shops don't give out this sort of info but I suppose its the same with torts and other animals and if owners don't look then they never know. Our hammy also had a dish of chinchilla sand occasionally and she'd roll herself in it I assume they have dust baths in the wild, her name was pip and she ended up with a enormous rat cage and would sit by the door when she saw you comming when she wanted to come out.
http://pethamsters.webs.com/hamsterfooddiet.htm

Last edited by Pussygalore; 10-01-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote