Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 19-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Scales and Fangs
Egg

Default Tortarium

Hey guys, a few years ago, I developed a Tortoise enclosure and named it the Tortarium.

I have attached some images of the current design but I think it's time for a change.

I'll explain the current design.

They are minimum 3x2 floor space, you'll see there is a shelf half way up with 2 holes beneath, this is a shelf is to mount a U.V light and the holes are access for the U.V wires.

The top of the enclosure is wider so that a heat lamp can be mounted and clears the lower shelf.

Ok so here's the thing. We are working close with Arcadia and with the release of their Luminaires and the data and information that they have provided us, I think that we can do away with the lower shelf and holes. Then fit a 24watt Luminaire on the higher ledge at one side and then mount the heat bulb at the other side.

The current height of the enclosure is 20 inches which should be adequate once you take into account the depth of the Luminaire and then the depth of the substrate.

The reason for this post is to obtain opinions from the very people that keep Tortoises and use this information to develop the Tortarium.

I look forward to hearing what you think.

Rob.

Scales and Fangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Hi Rob. it is a similar shape, but loads smarter, than a "baby tort table" my other half made for me out of odds and ends of materials, when I first had some hatchlings, some years ago. In those days, sad to say, I didn't know too much about UV lights etc.
One thing I did find, it was a little awkward to clean out, maybe it would be possible to add a "lipped" removable tray to the base to enable the whole thing to be taken out for cleaning etc?

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
Catwoman63
Adult

I think it looks great, I would certainly use it for my hatchlings, how much do they cost? X

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Scales and Fangs
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelylayla View Post
Hi Rob. it is a similar shape, but loads smarter, than a "baby tort table" my other half made for me out of odds and ends of materials, when I first had some hatchlings, some years ago. In those days, sad to say, I didn't know too much about UV lights etc.
One thing I did find, it was a little awkward to clean out, maybe it would be possible to add a "lipped" removable tray to the base to enable the whole thing to be taken out for cleaning etc?
We are currently looking at having these as a flat pack option so we can easily courier them.

Taking on board about the removable tray, I am looking at sourcing a plastic tray that sits inside which can be easily removed and cleaned.

We have now decided to do away with the shelf and ensure that the U.V is the Arcadia T5 Luminaire.
Old 24-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Scales and Fangs
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
I think it looks great, I would certainly use it for my hatchlings, how much do they cost? X
The Current price is £90 for the 3X2
Old 24-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Merlin M
Adult

It is so well thought out, and looks good.

Removable tray for easy cleaning also sounds good!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
pagan queen
Adult

Instead of the tray maybe a hinged front drop down system so it can be swept out? and an option to buy a lid for the top so people can use them in colder rooms. I personally wouldn't buy one as it is because i have to have my set ups in my conservatory which gets too cold for the open top.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband

Last edited by pagan queen; 24-09-2013 at 03:27 PM.
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
Scales and Fangs
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Instead of the tray maybe a hinged front drop down system so it can be swept out? and an option to buy a lid for the top so people can use them in colder rooms. I personally wouldn't buy one as it is because i have to have my set ups in my conservatory which gets too cold for the open top.
Ok, thats an interesting one to think about. I worry that by hingeing the front panel, the structure then becomes weakened. hummmmmm......

I agree that a lid system should be available but not to accommodate cold rooms, surely a vivarium would be more suitable for that, but maybe a mesh option to protect the tortoise from unwanted viv guests such as your pet cat etc...

The idea of having the front part open is for optimum ventilation.
Old 24-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
pagan queen
Adult

How tall is the enclosure at the highest point? It's hard to tell from the picture. I was thinking if it's higher than the normal viv then the amount of air would be greater, meaning ventilation wouldn't be so much of a problem.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Scales and Fangs
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
How tall is the enclosure at the highest point? It's hard to tell from the picture. I was thinking if it's higher than the normal viv then the amount of air would be greater, meaning ventilation wouldn't be so much of a problem.
20 inches tall