Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 12-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #11
Ajay
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Ajay

lol sorry Danny, was on with three things at once. No, I took it for granted that you'd think I fed every day. Try again: they get protein only one day -1, fruit only one day -2 and weeds only on four days - all with nutrobal -6 and one day weeds and fruit (nutrobal on the weeds) -7

So they only don't have any supplement on their food one day a week. They have cuttelfish, limestone flour and a limestone block available at all times. They have UV light on but plenty of shade/dappled light and an ambient temperature of 30C as Sarah suggested as that was what they were used to.

DAISY, I don't know but their growth is nice and smooth and their shell rot has cleared up nicely now (just a few tiny marks left) so can't see that there's anything to repair as such.

I thought as reds get their D3 from protein it was caused by only having weeds in their first two months but thought it would have corrected (at least a little) by now.

0.0.2 Testudo hermanni boettgeri
0.0.2 Geochelone carbonaria
0.0.1 Testudo horsfieldii
1.0.0 Eublepharis macularius
1.0.0 Canis familiaris

I am no longer a student; AT LAST!!
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #12
joanna
Adult

Hi,

Glad to here shell rot has cleared, How do they get D3 through protein? Does it depend what you feed like pinkies etc have slight bone formation and through that or do you supplement the protein with D3?

Thanks Jo
joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #13
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

It's okay Ajay Now I get it

They will use the supplemented D3 as well as getting it from protein. It's always possible the phosphorus levels are off, as you do need all 3 things for bone growth. Thats why I feed earthworms as my protein. Their calcium/phosphorus levels are great and the reds love them.

Danny