Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 02-12-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
alicia
Adult

Default am i right in thinkin tht

am i right in thinkin that if my leopard tortoise basks for about an hour he can go outside even when its really cold?
i cant remeber where i found that out now.

thanks you

0.0.2 graeca ibera
alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

A leopard tortoise can go outside when he/she has fully warmed up, and its their choice to do
so. Epecially this time of the year.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

You have to be really careful with the temps outside, and it could only be for very short periods, As your Bobster is very small, he will lose body heat very quickly. My Leopards have not been out in weeks, it has been too cold and damp, with a chill in the wind from the Irish Sea. Do you have a heated greenhouse he could have a wander in?
The problem with Leopards, they wont even try to get into the warm, they will just pull their head and legs in, and get colder. I know Terry has to go and get his in with the aid of a wheelbarrow!
the bigger adult Leopards can cope better than one only a few years old.
If you do put him out, just consider this, is it warm enough for you to stand outside in a T-shirt and shorts or a skirt? if not, how do think your little tort would like it?

Laraine
Old 02-12-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
alicia
Adult

well i havent and wouldnt put bobby outside in this weather, i was so paraniod even in the summer if it got a bit of a breeze i would bring him in haha. i got told someehwere that they could go out aslong as they had previously been warmed up.
o well, bring on summer i say, i cant wait to get bobby out in the natural sun again.

thanks for your help

alice x

0.0.2 graeca ibera
Old 02-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

they can go out on mild days if they have been warmed up, but you would have to keep a very close eye on the temps and the weather, this time of year it changes so much. so far today we have had howling gales, then calm blue skies and sun, followed by torrential rain. I wonder what month it really is?
Laraine
Old 02-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
alicia
Adult

i know, i dont think i would like to be out side on a day like today if i was a tortoise but people keep there tortoises outside so there free to go out whenever, so thought bob might be able to go out.
i think i will wait till sping/summer.

0.0.2 graeca ibera
Old 02-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
terrypin
Adult

hi i think i may be guilty of the warm em up and let them out advice and if i am then i am sorry to misslead you i keep several adult leopards the largest although she takes longer to warm up in the winter can manage the 50metres to her favourite area in the enclosure most dry days unfortunately as Laraine says leopards are a real pain as they dont bother to come back when they start to cool down so its off i go with the wheelbarrow to taxi her back late afternoon, she weighs nearly 40lbs so i dont feel like carrying her that far and i have another 6 of which 2 arent much smaller i confine them to a smaller concrete area for the last hour or so and so long as she isnt to cold she will manage the last 15metres to the shed and the heat lamps, i do get the odd small male or 2 that cant make it when its really cold but its easy to find them on the concrete in the dark with a torch so no problems there. i have found that they enjoy the winter sunshine and will make every effort to bask and eat outdoors when given the oppurtunity. at the moment your leopard is still small and will lose heat very quickly so i would be a little cautious with the weather. my own juveniles only have access to the outside for short periods on very nice days in the winter .
terry