Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

View Poll Results: where do you keep your eggs and tomatoes?
eggs in the fridge 20 58.82%
eggs not in the fridge 13 38.24%
tomatoes in the fridge 27 79.41%
tomatoes not in the fridge 6 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
pagan queen
Adult

Eggs can last 21 days without any deterioration, after that they will start to slowly lose freshness. Chickens lay one egg day over 14 to 21 days and then sit on them all after they have layed the whole clutch, this is so all the chicks hatch at the same time. There is a coating on the eggs to protect them from anything getting in or out. So they have a long shelf life. However, when you buy eggs from a shop they can be quite old by the time they get there, up to 2 weeks old. You should never wash eggs unless you use them straight away or keep them in a fridge. The coating is washed off and they deteriorate very quickly. There is an egg washing solution that can be bought if you have chickens and want to wash off any dirt or poo that may get on them when they are layed.
If you want to test an egg fro freshness put them in a jug of water just before you use it (or the coating will wash off) If it sits on it's side on the bottom it's fresh. Anywhere mid way is ok to eat but not as fresh. If it's bobbing on the top, bin it.

Tomatoes? Don't know, don't care, don't like em from the shops, only eat my home grown ones and mostly make soup from them straight from the plant.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #12
rocio
Hatchling

I keep our hens eggs in the fridge but take them out the day before if I'm going to bake with them as they should be at room temp. for baking or making meringues etc. Same with tomatoes-----and if I forget to get them out in time,I put them in some really hot water for a minute or two as cold tomatoes have no flavour. Most things in the fridge are either in a jar of some sort or plastic packaging so don't see how eggs could absorb flavours.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #13
terig
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Eggs can last 21 days without any deterioration, after that they will start to slowly lose freshness. Chickens lay one egg day over 14 to 21 days and then sit on them all after they have layed the whole clutch, this is so all the chicks hatch at the same time. There is a coating on the eggs to protect them from anything getting in or out. So they have a long shelf life. However, when you buy eggs from a shop they can be quite old by the time they get there, up to 2 weeks old. You should never wash eggs unless you use them straight away or keep them in a fridge. The coating is washed off and they deteriorate very quickly. There is an egg washing solution that can be bought if you have chickens and want to wash off any dirt or poo that may get on them when they are layed.
If you want to test an egg fro freshness put them in a jug of water just before you use it (or the coating will wash off) If it sits on it's side on the bottom it's fresh. Anywhere mid way is ok to eat but not as fresh. If it's bobbing on the top, bin it.
Youve answered my question, I buy free range from the side of the lane in my villiage and I always wondered why the bits of mud (probably poo but dont tell kids) were still on there.
terig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by terig View Post
Youve answered my question, I buy free range from the side of the lane in my villiage and I always wondered why the bits of mud (probably poo but dont tell kids) were still on there.
Glad to be of service.
It's more likely mud on your eggs. They very rarely poop in the nest box. You will probably find the eggs are cleaner in the summer than winter. One chicken will lay an egg, then the next one goes in with muddy wet feet and lays her egg. Unless the chicken has stood in poo on her way to the nest box it's mud on their feet.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
flower79
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
I never put my eggs in the fridge, I have a rather funky chicken:

That is amazing, I WANT ONE !!!!!!! lol
flower79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #16
Merlin M
Adult

they don't have to go in the fridge, but I do to save space in my small kitchen.
Don't normally have tomatoes, but when I do they go in the fridge for the same reason...
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
Herpard
Adult

Tomato's - Fridge

Shop bought eggs -fridge

Our chicken eggs -in a basket on the kitchen side!

Tbh shop bought eggs should be kept refrigerated cause normally they're 3 weeks old by the time they get to the stores.
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I can't believe the number of people who keep their tomatoes in the fridge and are missing out on the great taste

---> http://www.ehow.com/how_1681_store-tomatoes.html
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #19
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I keep my toms in the fridge but take them out for a bit before I use them...is that any good? lol

My eggs live in the fridge cos if I put them any where else they would get broked
Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #20
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

in really hot weather I sometimes wish I could put my plums in the fridge
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote