Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 20-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
_simon_
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttysue View Post
Americans seem to call them TURTLES whats all that about
Sue
I'm told that the french don't have a word for tortoise, if they had to translate to english they'd also say turtle. The french guy I know had never heard of the word "tortoise" and he's in his 30's.

I say tort-oys based on how it's spelt. oise is exactly that isn't it? oise, not us?
Mexican Red Knee Tarantula
Peach Faced & Sea Green Lovebirds
Yemen Chameleon, Blue Tongue Skink, Tokay Gecko
1300L Outdoor Turtle Pond: Yellow Belly Slider, Peninsula Cooter, 2 False Maps
_simon_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #22
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Can someone explain this one.. why do so many people (not one or two but hundreds or thousands of people on the internet) insert an R into the word bought? Lots of people will say I brought this down the shops instead of I bought this. Is it to do with an accent or something? I just can't see why you'd give yourself extra work by typing an extra letter into a word that doesn't need it

What happens when you get a sentence like.. I've brought the football that I bought in Asda?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #23
mrscross78
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Can someone explain this one.. why do so many people (not one or two but hundreds or thousands of people on the internet) insert an R into the word bought? Lots of people will say I brought this down the shops instead of I bought this. Is it to do with an accent or something? I just can't see why you'd give yourself extra work by typing an extra letter into a word that doesn't need it

What happens when you get a sentence like.. I've brought the football that I bought in Asda?
I notice this too... I think they think the word brought is the correct word to use, I reckon they don't know the other word bought.. I believe they'd use it otherwise.

Testudo Hermanni Hermanni Victor & George
Amelia
mrscross78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #24
_simon_
Incubating

Quote:

Pet hate of mine. They also use it when speaking. Think they use it up Stoke way as my brothers other half is from that way and she says brought.
Mexican Red Knee Tarantula
Peach Faced & Sea Green Lovebirds
Yemen Chameleon, Blue Tongue Skink, Tokay Gecko
1300L Outdoor Turtle Pond: Yellow Belly Slider, Peninsula Cooter, 2 False Maps
_simon_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #25
wigwamman
Juvenile

hey alan,i think its bought from the shops,and brought when you bring something with you,aye
wigwamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #26
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigwamman View Post
hey alan,i think its bought from the shops,and brought when you bring something with you,aye
Aye it is but nibdy has onny idea what oor sayin aboot here I was speaking to a guy from Silverstone last night at St Abbs and I could understand him no bother but I could see by his nodding that he couldn't understand me much ataw

They are even worse at Eyemouth, it's only a few miles away but even we struggle with their lingo there. Instead of saying oh aye, they say ooh eh. They don't say Eyemouth either, they call it High moothe and nearby Coldingham gets called Cowjum. The also call crabs poos

Inverness is supposedly the only place in the UK where they speak as close to proper English as you can get
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #27
pagan queen
Adult

Quote:
tor toys

why would you say tortus how do you say the colour turquoise then? turk wus
In that case you must say tortoize as turquoise is said turkwoize and this is playing hell with my spell check.
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #28
Watermelon
Adult

I say tort - TUS!!

My family now refer to the tortoises as tort-eyes not tort-tusses! Think its a piss take thing lol.

I hate it when people insert R's into bath and laugh etc. Then again I cant talk I have really strong leeds accent and stretch all my vowels! Like roooad and nooooo. I love scary spice's accent! Bit like mine.

Last edited by Watermelon; 20-08-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #29
pagan queen
Adult

Brought, Bought, to, too, their, there, they're, and many more are all used incorrectly all the time. It drives me nuts, what were people taught in school. It wasn't until I started using forums that I realised just how thick the British people really are. If we can't even use our own language correctly what hope is there for us? And why would you say "we was going out" when it's so much easier to use the correct word "were" it flows easier and sound smoother. Myself and my children all get called posh by people where we live as we all speak correctly and believe it or not we have the letters "T" and "H" in an awful lot more words than most people.

*Climbing down from my soap box*
0.1.0 Hahns Macaw
0.1.0 Pearly Conure
0.2.0 Guinea Pigs
0.2.0 Chickens
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
7.4.0 Budgies
1.1.0 Cockatiels
1.3 Kids
1 Husband
pagan queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #30
mrscross78
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan queen View Post
Brought, Bought, to, too, their, there, they're, and many more are all used incorrectly all the time. It drives me nuts, what were people taught in school. It wasn't until I started using forums that I realised just how thick the British people really are. If we can't even use our own language correctly what hope is there for us? And why would you say "we was going out" when it's so much easier to use the correct word "were" it flows easier and sound smoother. Myself and my children all get called posh by people where we live as we all speak correctly and believe it or not we have the letters "T" and "H" in an awful lot more words than most people.

*Climbing down from my soap box*
I'm awful, I always show my husband when people write mistakes...( for example) I'm off too the park or I want too go to the park... Or I like that to..... It frustrates me too.....To and too seem to cause the most confusion..

Testudo Hermanni Hermanni Victor & George
Amelia

Last edited by mrscross78; 20-08-2011 at 01:36 PM.
mrscross78 is offline   Reply With Quote