Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 19-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
Pussygalore
Adult

bees don't sting you unless they feel threatened they die when they have to sting unlike wasps, I don't like flying things but don't mind bees, you can usually catch them in a cup with a lid over it relatively easily.Bumble bees are I think becoming rare so never kill one of those, the ones emerging from the ground now are usually females they hibernate under ground. As the winters been so long many of them won't survive, without bees to pollenate we would all die as all the plants/trees etc wouldn't be able to produce fruit etc.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
TortBabe
Adult

Thats such a scary thought Pussy, I'm going to grow some of those window box mixes that attract bees, hopefully it will help
Old 19-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Oh .. I didn't know that Poor things!
Old 19-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
babyjaffa
Egg

lol i was just thinking the same earlier, as i had my eyes focused on the floor and not where i was going. Also i keep wondering if i quickly run into my next door neighbours garden and grab a handfull of weeds would they notice hehe, i may have to ask them.

1 male Testudo graeca Ibera Derrick
1 male newfie/lab Bam
2 cats 1 male Mandu, 1 female Mojo
4 goldfish
2 children
1 bloke
babyjaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #15
Rowan
Sub Adult

I'm a sufferer of this for sure!!!

I visit friends gardens and point out all their lovely weeds, rather than their plants!!!!! Everyone takes it well (I think) and they understand my ailment.

The best weeds are always in the places you can't too grrrrr! I have actually "weeded" our next dorr neighbours window box, they had some bittercress growing I thought it was the heighbourly thing to do .
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #16
skildpadde
Incubating

It's funny how your perspective changes. I used to be annoyed by all the dandelions in the lawn. Since the torts arrived I cheer up every time I see one

Mette
skildpadde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
Torterra
Sub Adult

LOL at this thread. I have gorgeous dandelions and other weeds growing in my garden, I dont pull then out now as i would do it normally, should be enough for the new baby to thrive whole summer .
Have two questions now: 1) can dandelion flowers be fed to tortoises? 2) wouldnt the weeds that grew on the kerbside of the bisy road be packed with chemicals from car fumes, is it ok to feed those?
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #18
burnt toast
Adult

Yes you can feed dandlion flowers, mine love them. Its adviseable not to feed weeds that have grown next to busy roads, better to get them away from roads.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #19
burnt toast
Adult

I have brought one of those mini greenhouses, the plastic type with 4 shelves, it was only about a tenner & im busy growing edible plants & weeds. Must say though I used to be very green fingered few years ago & it is so much harder to deliberately grow a weed than a plant! I grow mine in seed trays, covered by a propegator top (or cling film) & then place them in green house & keep rotating, putting new trays in there. Also have a nice weed patch growing but its taking its time.

& yes I cant resist if I see some when im out walking! I must say its so much easier in the last month, amazing what a bit of sunshine can do!
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #20
jayne2942
Hatchling

My fifteen year old daughter will not walk by the side of me anymore as i'm always picking up weeds,she gets so embarrassed,a few months ago i knocked on a ladies door as she was new and her garden was full of weeds as i was struggling to get any,it's amazing what we will do for our little torts.
Jayne
pond fish
4 baby horsfield hatchlings
jayne2942 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weeds