Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 14-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
jo__
Incubating

Default Buying new torties....

Heya, I am going to look at 2 hermanns (Testudo hermanni) in the morning...I am meeting the women at a shop she works at (non pet shop) as they are allowing her to sell her torts from there. I know most breeders don't allow you to go to their homes which is fair enough, but how do I know I am not buying tortoises which hav been bread from 2 different sub species?
Are there any signs to look out for in the torts? I know this may sound a bit mad but i wana make sure my torties are one sub species or the other, n not mixed. I just don't know how i can get around this?!?! All bout trust I suppose....
Jo x
jo__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 07:04 AM   #2
clairekentuk
Incubating

You could always ask to see photos of the adults.

Also the cites certificate will have the species of the parents on. Ask to see them and have a good look.

Claire
Old 14-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
jo__
Incubating

The women said the species of the parents is not included on the certificates, as it doesn't have to be!?!
Old 14-07-2006, 08:26 AM   #4
Becks
Adult

i think clare means ask to see the parents certs . im usure about certs as i keep redfoots and they dont need certs. but how i have read clares reply it sound like she means to look at parents certs .. luv becks xxxxxxxx

horsfields ,redfoots ,southern and northan morrocans,
map turtle .

http://www.redfoottortoiseplace.piczo.com
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2006, 08:58 AM   #5
clairekentuk
Incubating

Yeah sorry look at parents certs if they not on there. Mine have the parents names on the babies certs though, not the species.
Id ask to see pics of the adults and ask for care sheets to make sure they have been kept properly.
If you arent too sure then personally id get them elsewhere. To be honest I can understand why she wouldnt want to sell from home, but she should be able to bring photos of the parents.
Old 14-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
jo__
Incubating

Thats the thing I fink im jus worryin bit too much... She seemed really knowledgable, gives caresheets, 5 varietys of weeds etc...shes also a member of the tortoise trust. Thanks for your advise tho, i'll ask her to see pics of the parents and if possible certs
Jo x
Old 14-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
arlene

Hi Jo

Is the shop in Portsmouth? I am near Fareham and may know the breeder if that helps.

Arlene
Old 14-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
clairekentuk
Incubating

How did it go Jo? Are you a tortoise mummy ?
Old 14-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #9
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Jo,

The article 10 paperwork is a yellow A4 document with different boxes on it, the most important boxes are:

1. gives the name and address or ID number of the holder / breeder

2. is for authorised location for live wild taken specimens of Anex A species (This should be blank if you have a UK CB tortoise)

3. is for the Issuing Management Authority (In the UK is DEFRA)

4.is for the description of Specimens eg.( one live unmarked tortoise with a plastron length of less than 100mm, Hatched 29/11/05. Parents cert numbers Male********** Female********)

11. Country of origin eg United Kingdom.

14. will have a country entered into the box if the tortoise has been imported.

17.Scientific name of species eg. Testudo Graeca

18. Common name of species eg. Spur thighed tortoise

19. is a certifiable statement describing the specimens above . It has 9 seperate boxes relating to how the tortoise was aquired. For a captive bred tortoise you will be looking to see crosses in boxes 3 and 4 only.

I hope this helps a little to know what you are looking for.

Any reputable breeder would be glad that you are asking these kinds of questions and would not be afraid to let you see paperwork etc.. before buying, this shows that you are responsible and they then know that you do not support the illegal import trade of tortoises.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
jo__
Incubating

Hi, This morning went briliantly The breeder was very helpful and gave us as much time as we wanted choosing our torts (which was very hard!) She also bought in examples of various weeds/plants to help us to identify them.They are sooo cute Arlene, yep the shop was in portsmouth, a herbal medicine shop...thanks for that info on certs ade v. helpful!
I really want to take pics of them in their new home but they are sleeping at the mo, and have buried themselves under the sand/soil. So will be posting pics 2moro...
Jo x