Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
fi_fi
Hatchling

Send a message via MSN to fi_fi
Default Tree

Hi,

There is a tree othat grows on the area outside by garden, while this is obviously not a problem i have consurns about the blossom it is producing at the moment.

The reason for this is that the blosom is falling from the tree and blowing in to Alfie's enclosure and he is eatting it, so naturaly ia m consurned if it is going to harm him in any way.

I have tried to clear the blossom each day, but there is alot and i can not be sure i have got it all, i know he has eatten some. Hopefully when the lip is put on the enclosure (hopefully this weekend) less of the blossom will be able to get through.

I have taken a picture of the tree, the blossom, and the amount which is going in to Alfies enclosure in a hope that some would be able to ID the tree for me and advise if its okay for alfie to eat.

Thanks

Fi

Old 12-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
piglet
Adult

Fi Fi it looks like a type of Cherry tree ,I know that soem ornamental cherries are toxic sorry not much help

Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Fi Fi, I agree with Darren it does look like an ornimental cherrys flower,but the shape of the tree looks wrong for a cherry
The nearest is crab apple,which flowers about now,could be wrong.Does it fruit later in the year, if it does youve have another prob with torts eating the fruits ,like i did with Hawthorne berries.
Paul
16 shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
fi_fi
Hatchling

Thanks for your help with this.

I am not sure if it has fruit, i have had a look and i can not see any on it now, and i have not noticed any before.

Does this mean that the blossom will be toxic for him to eat? i am worried now as it is going to be impossible to make sure he does not eat any blossom while in the run as it will continue to blow in on the brezze.

any suggestions ? i thought i could maybe find a fine net a cover the enclosure x
Old 12-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Sorry Not sure about it being toxic, its better to be on the safe side and either cover or move the enclosure, thats if your tort is realy tucking in to this food source
Paul
16 shells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
fi_fi
Hatchling

it is not really possible to move the enclosure, so i have found some fine flexible mesh in Homebase and have covered the enclosure with this. Hopefully it will stop the blossom from getting in the enclosure.

The mesh is the type that is used to cover fruit etc from birds. hopefully this will work.

It was £10 for loads of it!!!