Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, and Terrestrial Turtles

Old 13-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
cherylahutch
Adult

Default Turtles?

I have 9 tortoise and love them to bits definitely got the bug lol but would like a turtle at some point, question is what kind of care do they need? is it much different to a tortoise can they live in an aquarium? Are there any small ones that would be happy in with tropical fish as we have a set up with a pleco and some clown loaches a weather loach and some other small fish they are dwindling down in numbers with old age and was wondering if we could maybe get some kind of turtle or terrapin instead of more fish. I would not want to get one and not give it the care it needs so any advice would be great. the tank is about 100 litre corner one if that helps as well.
Old 13-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Catwoman63
Adult

I often look at the turtles in the pet shop I go to for my dog food, there are 2 of them that have claws about 2 inches or more long! I told them about it and they said "we can't cut them but they are ok" I'm sure their not! Sorry Cheryl not the answer you wanted lol x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
dragonzuiko
Incubating

Theres no turtles you can put with fish really, most turtles will eat the fish. even if you got a baby musk turtle which normally dont go after the fish, you would have to remove the tank lid and add a landing strip and a uv lighting and a heat bulb for basking, plus you would have to lower your water, so really your set up is not made for turtles
dragonzuiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
TillyTortoise
Adult

Don't think you could keep any adult turtle in a 100l tank.
Old 13-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
cherylahutch
Adult

What sort of set up do they need? Is it a half water half land type set up? really interested in the difference to a tortoise and what is the difference with terrapins? are they alot smaller?
Old 13-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
TillyTortoise
Adult

It depends what species you want. Terrapins are fresh water turtles.. Usally used to describe the Sliders and Cooters, these get big. 7-9" for males and 10 -12"+ for females. You would be looking at an indoor or outdoor pond to house these.

Last edited by TillyTortoise; 13-07-2012 at 10:25 PM.
TillyTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
cherylahutch
Adult

It would be an indoor set up if I was to get one.
Old 13-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylahutch View Post
It would be an indoor set up if I was to get one.
Musks are cool little turtles, maxing out at about 5". I'm sure something like a 4x2x1 tank would be fine for one.
Old 13-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
cherylahutch
Adult

So would it just be a case of an aquarium with lower water and a UV and heat lamp above the top with places for it to be out of the water like logs etc? We were thinking of this once the fish live out there natural lives. We have had they for a long time and as I say they are dwindling we have a smaller tank we could move them into.
Old 14-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
dragonzuiko
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylahutch View Post
So would it just be a case of an aquarium with lower water and a UV and heat lamp above the top with places for it to be out of the water like logs etc? We were thinking of this once the fish live out there natural lives. We have had they for a long time and as I say they are dwindling we have a smaller tank we could move them into.
Yes you have the heat lamp and uv lamp over the landing strip, you can use logs and a turtle dock, i have the zoo med turtle docks they just stick to the glass, i use piece of cork as well but you need to make them fit your tank. there are many types of turtle ramps and docks. your tank would only be suitable for a small turtle like a musk turtle hatchling for the first year or so, then it would need a bigger tank. you also need a decent filter, turtle waste is much more than fish so the water dirtys quickly. most people use external filters for there turtles because internal filters cant cope with turtle waste etc.
dragonzuiko is offline   Reply With Quote