Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 10-05-2016, 06:42 PM   #11
hoppysara
Egg

Thanks for all your advice the bulb is an arcadia bulb and is definitely uva and uvb its a d3 uv basking lamp 11watt. The temperature I'm getting at the moment is about 30/31. He was just so active before spent most of his time destroying his decor but today he went to his hide at about 12 and doesn't come back out. As I'm new to this I'm really concerned I'm doing something wrong. Also how long do you take the temperature for?
hoppysara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #12
CherryBrandy
Adult

hoppysara just double check that ...11w wont provide 30 degree heat. Not sure an Arcadia D3 comes in that wattage. perhaps its 11% Uv power?? Are you bathing him - those heats will dry out a tortoise v v quick and if he is hiding he may be too hot.
Have you weighed him? has he decreased in weight ? good indicator of ill health or big poops or emptied bladder.....! keep us posted and monitor his behaviour. if eating that's good sign. CB
Old 12-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #13
hoppysara
Egg

I think there's been some confusion my bulb is a 80 w and 100% uva and uvb. I tried some of your advice and moved it higher so the temperature was 29 and no success he went into his hide at 10:30 today and never came back out.
I've do bathe him often and yes he is putting weight on.
I really appreciate all your advice Im getting very upset I miss my little naughty tort
Old 13-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #14
CherryBrandy
Adult

sorry, didn't mean to get confused , I think its delay in posts cause you're new member and we catch up. Im not sure you need to worry too much if weight is being put on also. I cant find fault with set up. What it sometimes equates to is the age and growing and change in characters. As babies they need lots of sleep like human babies, and then little ones are manic venture out lots and then its the teenage years, don't get up till late and back to bed etc. The only thing I can think of is Horsfields need lots of stimuli, lots of stones to climb under over in the run, and don't forget they do like to dig loads so for him to bury down is quite fun and then sleep. I don't see some of mine for days under the shingle. my others are simply mad. CB
Old 13-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #15
CherryBrandy
Adult

another thing is where are you in the country ? if its colder ambient temps that does affect behaviour - you cant influence this too much, just keep doing what you're doing.

No spinach ? or carrot ? as too much causes toxins and slow them down too, CB
Old 13-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #16
hoppysara
Egg

Thank you for your advice, I live in North Yorkshire. He only eats dandelions and leaves like lambs lettuce I'm growing my own food but it's taken a while. Would love to try him on other things but not sure what at the supermarket.
I've give him a full clean out today and changed things around so he seems a bit more inquisitive today. But he is eating and putting on weight so I think you maybe right cherry brandy I think he is a grumpy teenager
Old 13-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #17
CherryBrandy
Adult

aaah they are so sweet aren't they. don't worry too much. it all sounds good. Florette 'Crispy', is pretty good I find but my Horsfields only ever touch dandelions, whatever is there is ignored and dandelions go by the ton it seems. Good fun growing though.
Old 13-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #18
Suze65
Adult

Agree, crispy florette, always goes down well.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote