Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 11-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpard View Post
Personally I find that it's cruel to shove an animal in a fridge for months when theres no need really?

When someone can prove not hibernating a tortoise will kill them then I'll consider it but to me hibernating is just too much of a risk, I read countless posts each year about a tortoise dying whilst hibernating but not read one single post about a tortoise dying because it didn't get hibernated.
When I consider that I have been hibernating tortoises for 40 years and I haven't killed one yet, I wouldn't say it's too much of a risk, it's what they do quite naturally in the wild, and although I haven't yet done a fridge hibernation, I believe it's much safer than a shed or garage as you can control the temp, and it would have to be that cold in the wild for them to achieve hibernation successfully.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012

Last edited by Suze65; 11-10-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
EJ
Adult

keeping monitoring this and other forums especially around January and February and take note of the posts... 'help, my tortoise is in hibernation and does not seem to be alive...'.

Also search old posts.

More tortoises die due to hibernation than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediterraneansuze View Post
When I consider that I have been hibernating tortoises for 40 years and I haven't killed one yet, I wouldn't say it's too much of a risk, it's what they do quite naturally in the wild, and although I haven't yet done a fridge hibernation, I believe it's much safer than a shed or garage as you can control the temp, and it would have to be that cold in the wild for them to achieve hibernation successfully.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Levi
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
You bring up an interesting point... hibernating can kill a tortoise... I haven't seen any evidence to support the idea that not hibernating a tortoise can kill it.
There are loads of keeper that don't hibernate and supply inadequate environments etc for their tortoises, I would imagine it was just down to luck what season the tortoise eventually dies in.

But I agree there is a better chance of survival for the many incorrectly kept tortoises if their owners don't attempt hibernation. They would have no idea how to hibernate a pet tortoise correctly anyway.

So 'hibernating a tortoise incorrectly can kill it' and 'hibernating an incorrectly kept tortoise can kill it' too.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
EJ
Adult

What you say doesn't quite make sense.

Hibernating a tortoise is keeping it incorrectly. If you kept the tortoise correctly it would not be inclined to hibernate. A tortoise that is inclined to hibernate is adapting to unfavorable conditions in order to survive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
There are loads of keeper that don't hibernate and supply inadequate environments etc for their tortoises, I would imagine it was just down to luck what season the tortoise eventually dies in.

But I agree there is a better chance of survival for the many incorrectly kept tortoises if their owners don't attempt hibernation. They would have no idea how to hibernate a pet tortoise correctly anyway.

So 'hibernating a tortoise incorrectly can kill it' and 'hibernating an incorrectly kept tortoise can kill it' too.
and
Old 11-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
Suze65
Adult

I think Levi has a good point , may be many of those which die in hibernation havent been kept properly and the owners haven't approached hibernation properly. May be some have been put into hibernation when they were Ill or under weight, these ones would probably die in the wild in hibernation. And for some torts they were going to die anyway . And probably only people who have got problems are going to report it and ask for help, there's probably thousands of people out there who hibernate their torts successfully and don't feel the need to tell any one.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #16
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
What you say doesn't quite make sense.

Hibernating a tortoise is keeping it incorrectly. If you kept the tortoise correctly it would not be inclined to hibernate. A tortoise that is inclined to hibernate is adapting to unfavorable conditions in order to survive.
I don't see how hibernation is incorrect, unnecessary perhaps, but not incorrect...

After all it is a natural response to winter, which, I am sorry, but it is not exactly easy to completely shield them from, just given the way the daylight changes if nothing else! Then there is finding the weeds... And for many just the need to come inside is an indication to them that winter is coming!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #17
Merlin M
Adult

Quote:
I think Levi has a good point , may be many of those which die in hibernation havent been kept properly and the owners haven't approached hibernation properly. May be some have been put into hibernation when they were Ill or under weight, these ones would probably die in the wild in hibernation. And for some torts they were going to die anyway . And probably only people who have got problems are going to report it and ask for help, there's probably thousands of people out there who hibernate their torts successfully and don't feel the need to tell any one.
Yes I lost a tortoise during hibernation last winter, and it was entirely my fault!
I had listened to bad advise, and not done as well as I should at the wind down.
I was not on any forums then and a some of my husbandry as not great. But I like to think I have learned from my mistakes.
I am still gutted about what happened, particularly as it was my fault!!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
EJ
Adult

So... then why persue hibernation?

Quote:
and
Old 11-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
EJ
Adult

A tortoise is a reptile. It depends on the environment around it to survive. If the temperatures around it are not correct... it suffers... unless it finds a way to survive the incorrect conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin M View Post
I don't see how hibernation is incorrect, unnecessary perhaps, but not incorrect...

After all it is a natural response to winter, which, I am sorry, but it is not exactly easy to completely shield them from, just given the way the daylight changes if nothing else! Then there is finding the weeds... And for many just the need to come inside is an indication to them that winter is coming!
and
Old 11-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
ibizathetort
Adult

Personally I believe hibernation to be a necessity to the species surviving in the wild...I'm certain that wild tortoises that have access to year round food and good temps wouldn't hibernate at all. Therefore its logical that home kept tortoises adapt just as well to year round warmth and food.
Hatchling Horsfield - Bora
Hatchling Horsfield - Bossa
Hatchling Horsfield - Jet

ibizathetort is offline   Reply With Quote