Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #11
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Sounds as if you are doing all the right things. As Rach says, the hard part is ensuring you find the right owner should anyone claim it as theirs. Good luck
Old 11-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
FarleyMarley
Egg

Thank you for all your help, he is now registered with:

All the local vets,
The local police station
The RSPCA
The National Register
The school I work in is going to ask in assembly (a lot of the children live on my estate)
There are also posters up round the nearby roads stating "Found, reptile, the rough area and my telephone number"

Not much more I can do than that really. Im very conscious of the fact that people may do absolutely anything to get him. Seeing as he cant have gone all that far surely, Im going to actually ask to see his setup, and he wont be going anywhere unless they can prove in someway that he belongs to them. Most people are pretty camera happy now, so they would have taken some photos, and his shell patterns would be easy to match up. If he does belong to them, they will understand.

I have got some more questions though sorry (well keeping tortoises is something I havent really had much time to research lol).

Last night I turned off his desk lamp (as the only quiet safe place I have is my bedroom and I needed to sleep). So he was quite cold this morning, Ive got a very small heatmat that I could stick to the side, would that help? Should he have that anyway all the time? Should I have left the light on all night?

I will try and increase the bulb somehow, however the desk lamp says max 40W, small screw end type, Im not sure what else I could fit a larger bulb into. The desk lamp is raised by a couple of books so when the tortoise is trying to climb up the sides the bulb is about 3 inches from the top of the box. Wouldnt a 100w bulb be way too hot at this distance?

Ive had a closer look at his eyes, he seems to have a third? pink eyelid that comes across from the front, the one on his right eye doesnt seem to retract properly, however there is no gunk or discharge. Is this due to perhaps dehydration?

Not too many dandelions or tomatoes then, will have to find some other things for him to nosh. Ive got a funny feeling that he has never seen a dandelion leaf before as he doesnt even take any notice of them.

He's quite active though, keeps trying to climb the walls of the container!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
ibizathetort
Adult

Bless him poor guy! I am not far from you in sandbach Cheshire if you need any help give me a shout I have 2 horsfields already. Really hope he hasn't been abandoned he is a lovely looking fella!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
jamestaylor18
Hatched

He is defo a male horsefield! Awe he looks in very good condition as well! They usually hibernate this time of year so im guessin the warm spell at weekend has caused him to wake up!
x1 Tree Frog (Freddie)
x1 Corn Snake (Nessie)
Old 11-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #15
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarleyMarley View Post
Thank you for all your help, he is now registered with:

All the local vets,
The local police station
The RSPCA
The National Register
The school I work in is going to ask in assembly (a lot of the children live on my estate)
There are also posters up round the nearby roads stating "Found, reptile, the rough area and my telephone number"

Not much more I can do than that really. Im very conscious of the fact that people may do absolutely anything to get him. Seeing as he cant have gone all that far surely, Im going to actually ask to see his setup, and he wont be going anywhere unless they can prove in someway that he belongs to them. Most people are pretty camera happy now, so they would have taken some photos, and his shell patterns would be easy to match up. If he does belong to them, they will understand.

I have got some more questions though sorry (well keeping tortoises is something I havent really had much time to research lol).

Last night I turned off his desk lamp (as the only quiet safe place I have is my bedroom and I needed to sleep). So he was quite cold this morning, Ive got a very small heatmat that I could stick to the side, would that help? Should he have that anyway all the time? Should I have left the light on all night?

You only really need night time heat if the temps drop below about 16 degrees.
You could, as you say, stick the heat mat to the side of his enclosure together with a thermostat to make sure the night time heat doesn't drop too low.
I wouldn't leave the light on as torts need a day/ night cycle

I will try and increase the bulb somehow, however the desk lamp says max 40W, small screw end type, Im not sure what else I could fit a larger bulb into. The desk lamp is raised by a couple of books so when the tortoise is trying to climb up the sides the bulb is about 3 inches from the top of the box. Wouldnt a 100w bulb be way too hot at this distance?
I wouldn't add a bulb greater than the max on the lamp, could be a fire risk.
However, torts need to bask to raise their core temps and I would think that a 40w wouldn't be warm enough

Ive had a closer look at his eyes, he seems to have a third? pink eyelid that comes across from the front, the one on his right eye doesnt seem to retract properly, however there is no gunk or discharge. Is this due to perhaps dehydration?

It could be an infection, or just irritation. Try bathing the eye with cooled boiled water, and apply some 'human tears' available form a chemist...I'll try to find out a brand name

Not too many dandelions or tomatoes then, will have to find some other things for him to nosh. Ive got a funny feeling that he has never seen a dandelion leaf before as he doesnt even take any notice of them.

He's quite active though, keeps trying to climb the walls of the container!
Is he eating at all?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Ah, just re-read your first post and noticed that you're using a plastic storage box, don't know if it would be a good idea to attach a heat mat to that...
Old 11-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #17
FinnGB
Hatchling

hey

I think its very decent of you to go this far out of your way to help reunite this tortoise with the owner.

You must be a very nice person. I hope IF i ever lose one of my tortoises that they find their way to you.

Rick
Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #18
FarleyMarley
Egg

Well sadly for me (I was enjoying having him) but maybe okay for the tortoise I think I have found where he has come from. I found a note through my front door when I got back from work at 2pm to say 'I think you might have my tortoise, please call me on.... I live at...... So I went round there and it is literally a stones throw from the man who found him.

By ringing on the door I woke him up as he had been working last night, he said that the tortoise was his and that he had a vivarium indoors for it. Because he was standing there in his pyjamas he asked if he could collect it at 5pm this afternoon. The only other person that knew a tortoise had been found was the man that found it originally who was knocking on all the doors, all the signs I put up just say reptile.

Im not sure about this man, he looked like a nightclub bouncer (sorry to be so stereotypical but cant think of any other way to describe him). I can see his garden from my house and its erm...interesting. Lets just say that Im going to be asking him to describe this tortoise and provide some proof that he belongs to him before he is leaving my house. If he does turn out to be his rightful owner then I feel very sorry for the sort of life he is going to have

Quite attached to him now, he has started eating properly as well. Ive just come back from buying a nice heat bulb and some fresh nutrobal too. Ive not even had a thankyou
Old 11-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #19
FinnGB
Hatchling

Ask him if he has the article 10 certificate (if Horsfields require one, im not certain on that).

Sounds like you should get a tortoise yourself once you get all the kit sorted
Old 11-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #20
WriterNick
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to WriterNick

Aw that could be quite a sad end to the story, but maybe the guy is a better owner than he appears to be? Please let us know how it goes!

Now that you have been bitten by the tortoise bug, and have already bought some equipment, maybe you will want to 'shell out' for your own little tort?
Closed Thread