Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 22-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
FinnGB
Hatchling

Default Any advice please

Hey guys,

My wife and I have being wanting a tortoise for a long time now, and i have finally built a table for it from an old otterman (an idea i got from a user here actually- thanks ).

I have being reading up, and contacting various reptile shops for advice. Tomoz, hopefully i will be going to look at some hermans.

Is there any last minute advice you can offer please. As i have little exp' with reptiles, is there anything i should look for, should i get a male or a female? is there any difference, other than the obvious. I want to make sure i get a healthly one so is there any common defects i should check for?

Whats the first thing i should do when i bring it home? leave it alone for a while to settle? Offer it some food?

I was told on the phone i will get a certificate or something, So will that mean im getting a tort who is breed properly?

Thanks guys and gals, i'll check back every 20 mins for replies

Rick
FinnGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Is it from a UK breeder or from a shop? If it's from a shop it will be imported most likely and probably from Slovenia.

There is no guarantee of getting a healthy one but it is generally considered that a tort from a UK breeder is more likely to be in a healthier condition when purchased than a shop bought one or one bought from the internet but I have no opinion on that.

Unless it is around 4 years old you won't know really if it's male or female.

A certificate is required because it is an endangered species, it is no guarantee of being bred properly or owt like that. Check that whoever is selling you the tort has their name on the certificate, not the name of the person who sold it to them.

They can take weeks to settle in, sometimes refusing to eat for days or even weeks. Bathing in slightly warm water will encourage it to take in water, sit it in a container (a washing up bowl I use specifically for the job) so that the water just comes up a little way up the shell, not halfway or anything like that. Sit it for 10 to 20 mins

Last edited by Alan1; 22-02-2010 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Edited because my keys are not ***** working properly
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
FinnGB
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Is it from a UK breeder or from a shop?
Hey, thanks for reply.

The place i might be buying from is called ********** who stock LOADDDDDDs of animals of all kinds. Specailly reptiles.

If it's from slovenia is that a bad thing that it's imported? Sorry for my daft questions, there will be many mroe to follow im sure of it

Rick

Last edited by Bindi; 22-02-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Removal of link
Old 22-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Perhaps you need a certificate because its endangered.
Old 22-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #5
shaz
Sub Adult

Look at the eyes and nose for any discharge. Do u know how old they are? I have 2 5 month old Hermanns, great torts
shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
FinnGB
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz View Post
Look at the eyes and nose for any discharge. Do u know how old they are?
I was told they were born last year, and they have 12. I think he said they are 6 months old, but im not certain.

Rick
Old 22-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

They probably are, maybe imported from Slovenia or Germany.
Ask if the certificate is in order, as you have heard some can be forged and it is illegal, and you don't want to get into trouble. He will get your jist. It should be ok.
Old 22-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
shaz
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnGB View Post
I was told they were born last year, and they have 12. I think he said they are 6 months old, but im not certain.

Rick
Its gonna be hard to pick out just one !! Thats the same problem that i had, choosing one. Mine are sisters from the same mother and father but different ages because the mother lays 3 lots of eggs. So one of mine are from the first lot and the other is from the later lot.
If i was you i would go for one of the middle size torts when you see them. Pick one that look active and healthy.
Where are u getting him her from.
Depends on the temp that the eggs have been kept at depends on if there male or female. You may want to ask the temps. If u do want to get more its better to safer to keep female together than a males. or male and female. When there older the male wont leave them alone.
shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
Horace2
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
Is it from a UK breeder or from a shop? If it's from a shop it will be imported most likely and probably from Slovenia.

There is no guarantee of getting a healthy one but it is generally considered that a tort from a UK breeder is more likely to be in a healthier condition when purchased than a shop bought one or one bought from the internet but I have no opinion on that.

Unless it is around 4 years old you won't know really if it's male or female.

A certificate is required because it is an endangered species, it is no guarantee of being bred properly or owt like that. Check that whoever is selling you the tort has their name on the certificate, not the name of the person who sold it to them.

They can take weeks to settle in, sometimes refusing to eat for days or even weeks. Bathing in slightly warm water will encourage it to take in water, sit it in a container (a washing up bowl I use specifically for the job) so that the water just comes up a little way up the shell, not halfway or anything like that. Sit it for 10 to 20 mins
Well I bought Horace off the Internet, T** ******** ****, ***************.com Horace was delivered 13/6/2009. He was cold but soon warmed up. He is a HAPPY Tort and I have had so much advice from the ******** **** plus here too.
Les White started the business. I only have to send an e-mail asking for advice and I get an answer back the same day. I HIGHLY Recommend.

Last edited by Bindi; 22-02-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: removal of name please pm poster for details
Horace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #10
FinnGB
Hatchling

Is buying an imported slovenia tortoise illegal?

I just read this on the net

'Simply educating the people around you on the possible pitfalls that can be avoided when selecting a new tortoise, and when considering purchasing a tortoise don't rush into anything, a little research could save - time, money, committing an offence, and more importantly a tortoises life.'

Thanks again