Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 09-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #11
dugy
Juvenile

i think we, as shelledwarriors should devise a caresheet for pets at home and all go to oyur local stores to try and work with them and educate them about basic husbandry... it sounds lieke we can't stop it but we sure as hell can try to change the way that they are kept.
dugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
Jazzotang
Hatchling

Why have they stuck stickers on them! I must admit i avoid most pet shops because i see so many animals being kept in a poor enviroments and it makes me so angry! Maybe we should kidnap some of these shop experts and put them in a hot little tank with no proper shelter!

Last edited by Jazzotang; 09-04-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Jazzotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
dugy
Juvenile

probably to identify them as a male or female or just to make them look 'pretty'.. as if they aren't cute enough!
dugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #14
anna m
Adult

In my local shop they had 2 Hermanns in a vivarium with pellets to eat. I gasped when I saw them but didn't have the courage to challenge them. perhaps I could take the cowards way out and posted them a care sheet
I went upstairs and asked if they sold turtles but the man said no, but had I seen the tortoises downstairs. He further stated that he was very fussy about the care of tortoises, but I still had no courage to speak. I feel awful about it
They should be the resoncible ones that set an example though
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
purplelinda

i think dave runs a petition to sign

the adoption thing is a new thing and fair goes to pets at home its better than what they use to do and what other pet shops still do, even to puppies & kittens , well....once they are past the "cute stage" if they dont have some mad woman or animal rescue to take them, then its "dong" on the head as they are past their "sell by date"
so at least pets at home are trying to address that
Old 09-04-2009, 04:44 PM   #16
purplelinda

yes anna i can agree with you, but a lot of this is not out of badness, they just have different views on keeping torts, and it is what they are being advised by vets and the council when they apply to sell them as you need a license to sell them and have to be vet checked, maybe people should lobby the vets / council
but again i know a vet in fact 2 vets whom both keep tortoise and vet check for their local councils, in both these areas they are still in vivs
Old 09-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugy View Post
i think we, as shelledwarriors should devise a caresheet for pets at home and all go to oyur local stores to try and work with them and educate them about basic husbandry... it sounds lieke we can't stop it but we sure as hell can try to change the way that they are kept.
Dugy, kirkie has been campaigning for this and one of the shops at least had taken notice and wouldn't sell to anyone who hadn't first read some tort book (which you had to buy from them )

Edit.. just seen you had posted that linda
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #18
purplelinda

lol thats ok, you have a much better way with words than me, i am like a bull in a china shop!!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
fast-as-a-flash
Incubating

I went into our local pets at home a couple of weeks ago and they have stopped selling tortoises
fast-as-a-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast-as-a-flash View Post
I went into our local pets at home a couple of weeks ago and they have stopped selling tortoises
I seriously need the tort lovers in my area to help me with this one!
I shouldve asked the "expert" to let me take the test they reckon they make a prospective buyer take. Im now wondering what the questions would be like!
Im most peed off that the torts had no substrate and in that heat, where are they going to dig to, to cool down?
I keep thinking about it and i might be going back there tomorrow to harass them further!
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote