Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 28-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
judith ann
Hatched

Unhappy Substrate

Have put down top soil as advised but didnt expect the reaction that i got from tulip and squirt . They have been quite stressed ! Will they settle ? When they were on shavings they were very chilled and just eat and slept and went 2 bed in their house now they wont go in there and slept in the open getting very dirty . Do i wash them ? dont want it 2 get in their eyes .They are still eating well but spend the rest of the time trying 2 get out and climbing the walls .What can i do 2 make this change easier 4 them ?
judith ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Gem
Incubating

The first question is simple to answer, Yes they will settle given time, no tortoise like changes, and they caan get quite stroppy or stressed with it too, but this change fromm wood shavings to top soil sounds like it was probably for the best.
It will probably take them a little while to get completly used to the change, but they will settle in a few days or a week or two. try to leave them to settle in on their own as much as possible without too much interfering,I know you may feel like you may be helping by putting them in a familiar place were they usually sleep but it really is best to let them do their own thing for a little while.
As for how dirty they are getting, this makes me think that th soil may have been too wet when they first went into the soil, the soil should basically feel damp to the palm of your hand if pressed on the soil, but it shouldn't stick to your hand when you remove it from the soil. If it is really wet, maybe its also cold too, which could also add to their stress...although by now its probably warmed up a little i'm sure.
If its still really wet maybe it would be an idea to allow it to dry/warm a little before putting them into it? If its too damp and cold it could cause problems, so its worth making sure its not too wet for them to sleep in.
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
kat4788
Incubating

mine also had a simular change, but in only a week seem to be taking well to their new substrate. although hernandez rarely goes in the bed anyways, he prefers to burrow down in to the soil. just give them time, like anything they will adapt
kat4788 is offline   Reply With Quote