Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Events/Meetings

Old 19-04-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
Geomyda
Adult

Default 2nd International Chelonian Congress; Muenster 15-18th April 2010

Just got back from the Congress in Germany. A four day, very busy programme which was attended by approx 150 delegates from across the world. This included a strong contingent from mainland China, and representatives of Chinese government and private breeding farms in the country.
Chelonian Biologists, field researchers, Taxonomists, and Private hobbyists from across the world gathered for a four day congress, which despite the enormous travel chaos due to Volcanic interventions, was a great event. Sadly, the contingent from the UK was limited in number but for those of us who were prepared to make the event it represented a hugely worthwhile experience.

Last edited by Geomyda; 19-04-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
harwood09
Hatched

From the programme its sounds like a great experience to go to (thank you for that by the way ) Out of curiousity how much of what was presented is likely to be published, I particularly would like to read what was presented about the Platysternon megacephalum
Old 21-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood09 View Post
From the programme its sounds like a great experience to go to (thank you for that by the way ) Out of curiousity how much of what was presented is likely to be published, I particularly would like to read what was presented about the Platysternon megacephalum
The whole programme is going to be published. Hopefully in the not too distant future. The Platysternon presentation was indeed very good, and Sebastian Braun, who gave the presentation on captive breeding and husbandry is particularly good. I have met him previously a couple of times and for a "day job" he is a Policeman. His success with this species is a real credit to the dedication of a private hobbyist!
Old 21-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
harwood09
Hatched

Thats good to hear I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I think I prefer reading things by private hobbyists the majority of the time there tends to be less waffle its great to hear that people are having success with these types of species and that its not down to just zoological institutions to help save some of them from the brink.
Old 21-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Thats good to hear I'll have to keep an eye out for it. I think I prefer reading things by private hobbyists the majority of the time there tends to be less waffle its great to hear that people are having success with these types of species and that its not down to just zoological institutions to help save some of them from the brink.
I have kept this species many years ago, but have since learnt I was unsuccessful, due to far too high water Temperatures. Sebastian recommends, max 24 degree Centigrade and for winter, down as low as 8 degree Centigrade!!
Old 21-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #6
harwood09
Hatched

I did read a paper that came to the conclusion that lower temperatures led to them being able to better digest food and turn it into growth.

Just found it (Low optimal temperatures for food conversion and growth in the big-headed turtle,Platysternon megacephalum)they reckon the optimal temp for is 23.9C

but like I say its full of what I call waffle and other than knowing what temp it converts food at it doesn't provide much insight into how you should keep them, which is why I like getting information from successful keepers
Old 21-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #7
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
I did read a paper that came to the conclusion that lower temperatures led to them being able to better digest food and turn it into growth.

Just found it (Low optimal temperatures for food conversion and growth in the big-headed turtle,Platysternon megacephalum)they reckon the optimal temp for is 23.9C

but like I say its full of what I call waffle and other than knowing what temp it converts food at it doesn't provide much insight into how you should keep them, which is why I like getting information from successful keepers
Do you keep this species?
Aside, Sebastian, Torsten Blanck, the famous Turtle Biologist and Taxonomist gave a presentation on this species, "group". It included, pictures of the Turtles in their natural habitat, which of course tend to be cool Mountain streams and their attendant pools. Even in the heat of a South Asian Summer, these mountain streams tend to be quite cold, and it seems that this species which is for the most part an aquatic predator, can digest it's mainly invertebrate prey at temperatures far below normal Reptilian metabolic range.
It seems, in part of their natural range Giant Salamanders, can be found in the same streams at generally higher altitude.
Old 21-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
harwood09
Hatched

Not currently I have looked into them alot, the cooler temperatures and the way they look has drawn me in, although the last ones I found for sale were 500-700euros, plus due to the current problems in asia I want my next species to be from the problem area. In time hopefully I'll have them, but at the moment thanks to me having my blinkers on at the time I'm busy dealing with overpriced, and what appeared to be healthy at the time turtles, which if kirke reads this do not buy from the guy who's addy I sent you

Last edited by harwood09; 21-04-2010 at 09:18 PM.
harwood09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Not currently I have looked into them alot, the cooler temperatures and the way they look has drawn me in, although the last ones I found for sale were 500-700euros, plus due to the current problems in asia I want my next species to be from the problem area. In time hopefully I'll have them, but at the moment thanks to me having my blinkers on at the time I'm busy dealing with overpriced, and what appeared to be healthy at the time turtles, which if kirke reads this do not buy from the guy who's addy I sent you
Yes, they can be expensive. However, typically with many of these Asian turtle species their reproductive rate is naturally very low. A clutch size of 2-3 eggs is about as good as it gets.
Old 21-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
harwood09
Hatched

Makes sense, best get saving then