Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 12-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
eliza
Hatched

Default Urinates strange colour

Hi all I have just noticed while bathing my 3 torts 1 of them urinated and it was a strange orangy brown colour. This has never happened before, usually its white, never gritty. Have been bathing them everyday and they never have a problem urinating or pooing. The other 2 are fine and are urinating nomally. Also they are feed a weed diet. Does anyone no what this could be or has tis happened to anyone. Any advice or feedback woud be grately appreciated.
Thanks Eliza
eliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
eliza
Hatched

Bindweed dandilions pansys rose petals red clovers bittercress sowthisle aubritia and also adding alittle crispy florettes from supermarket as cant get my hands on many weeds any more. Also they have got readi grass in their sleeping area and their substrate is soil which i have seem them eating on rare occations.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

mine get that after eating butternut squash
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

Mine if they have eaten alot of Dandelions often have wee that colour too. Nothing to worry about but you could have maybe over done the amount of dandy's in one sitting.
Mind you its getting to that time of year when there is not as much choice, so I can see why more dandys would be fed now.

Dawn
Dawn Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
eliza
Hatched

Thanks Caledonia and Dawn panic over. Dawn your right cant realy find that many weeds now but dandilions seem to be everywhere still,will stop feeding as many now. Thanks again.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza View Post
Thanks Caledonia and Dawn panic over. Dawn your right cant realy find that many weeds now but dandilions seem to be everywhere still,will stop feeding as many now. Thanks again.
Your welcome, You don't know of anyone that has a Lavatera bush do you?? as they still have lots of flowers on them and they will eat the foliage as well.
Also Sedum spectaculum is still alive and they have big pad leaves too.
I deliberatly grow things in my borders for autumn feeding for exactly this reason. Also Corn flower is another good one to grow too......again mine happily munch this in the cooler months too.

Hope those help

Dawn
Dawn Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
eliza
Hatched

Thanks Dawn I will be going on the hunt for these soon. Will defo get some seeds to plant for next year.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #8
shellonia
Sub Adult

Do you cook the butternut squash or just give whole pieces raw to nibble at?never thought of giving them that
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellonia View Post
Do you cook the butternut squash or just give whole pieces raw to nibble at?never thought of giving them that
Raw but not much, once a month or fortnight type thing I believe. It's one of those ones that has cropped up as being a natural wormer but I have never found any real facts to say it is. I think it's because it's related to the pumpkin that this has come about but with the pumpkin it is the seeds that are the wormer and less so, the flesh near the seeds, in much the same way as nasturtium seeds but not so much the plant. Butternut sqush is also related to the cucumber but it isn't a wormer so there's no real connection other than they are all the same family
Old 13-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

that's grate kelly