Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 15-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
eliza
Hatched

Default Alfie trying to sleep Help!!

Hi everyone any advice would be really appreciated. For the last month or so Alfie hasnt realy been coming out and just wants to sleep all the time. I know is cooled down abit but its still been fairly warm. Ive tried everything to get him to come out put heating on for him in morning while im getting ready for work which works for alittle bit but im out all day so dnt want to leave heating on plus it would be too expensive! Im currently using the megaray combined lamp and temps are fine. Ive even added a ceramic heat emitted to see if that helps but nothing seems to be working. Ive been off today so i got him out of bed and sat him under his lamp put the heating on full and shut the door which he seemed quite happy about unlike me as the house has been like an oven! Has anyone got any other ideas I could try.
eliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

what aare the temps in his home....it could be that it is actually too warm for him and that is why he is hiding....trying to shade from the constant heat.
you should have a max end of 30 degrees..under the megaray........and then the other end shouold be alot lower.....Mine is about 20 degrees ish......although it can happily go down to 10-12 degrees without any problems at all.
Is he/she loosing any weight?? drinking and bathing ok? also whats his poo like? with answers to these questions we get a clearer picture of what is going on.

Take care
Dawn
P.s my daughter is also called Eliza.....there are not many of you around,thankfully!! lol
Dawn Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
eliza
Hatched

hi Dawn temps at hot end are between 28c-32 so they are ok. Cooler end is between 13c-20 depending on how warm it is but they do drop alittle at night. He has hd this set up for the past 2 years and has never wanted to do this so early always seemed happy to go marching around. Eating fine once he has warmed up bathing and drinking fine aswell. Not looseing any weight stedilly putting it on which is good, checked it on the mcintyre ratio and his weight is perfect for his length. Poos are fine usually passing them when he is being bathed.
Your right there isnt many Elizas around dnt no anyone else named it
Thanks Dawn your replies are grately appreciated x
eliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Dawn Fletcher
Banned
Sub Adult

well maybe he just wants to hibenate early this year??
You may have to just reconcile your slef that he is ready to hibenate........I know Horsfields hibenate for far longer then say .........Hermanns do.
So maybe if its not a health issue, or a husbandry issue then it sounds like nap time!

Dawn
Dawn Fletcher is offline   Reply With Quote