Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
nikki81
Hatched

Default long lasting uv ??

am looking to replace my uv lighting for my turts and torts but not sure what to buy am looking for something that i don't have to change Evey 6 month's as it getting expensive because iv go to buy for two tanks and a viv. anyone recommend anything ?

0.2.0 Red Foots george and freda

1.0.0 Rusty dog R.I.P

0.1.0 Mice R.I.P gus gus

0.1.0 guinea pig piglet
nikki81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

For your YBS amd false map, I'd say a good quality mercury vapour self ballasted combi uv/heat bulb like the T Rex active uv heat 100 watt.

About £50 for the bulb and £20 for a good fitting but the uv output is good and mine have shown only minimal degredation in UV output in nearly six months of daily use. I reckon they may last at least 18 months to two years and ive had none of the failures Ive experienced with certain other bulbs of this type.

Redfoots I'll leave to someone who keeps them, how old are they?
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
yuna1971
Adult

That is a good sign that the T Rex one then is reliable, Dave. I will have to change my MR by the end of the year/early next - pending Solarmeter checks, I think (bought Oct 2009). So its good to hear that. Maybe you got yours just in time before some of the problems with Westron made bulbs started...xx Would you say they are better then MRs then, like for like ??

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Kirkie
Adult

Naughty, Naughty Rach.

In the interests of impartiality I'll say that I am very happy with the performance of the T Rex bulb.

I have just noticed that on one retail site it says they have just shifted to a 120 watt version which is currently being EU tested. Big groan. But there are still 100w ones out there. hooray! As I said, I've not had any glitches with the 100w, no cutting out, no falling apart, no small explosions.

I haven't got one of the 160w ones yet but all the time the big UV lamp in the sky is out, I haven't got any tortoises indoors to put under one anyway.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
nikki81
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
For your YBS amd false map, I'd say a good quality mercury vapour self ballasted combi uv/heat bulb like the T Rex active uv heat 100 watt.

About £50 for the bulb and £20 for a good fitting but the uv output is good and mine have shown only minimal degredation in UV output in nearly six months of daily use. I reckon they may last at least 18 months to two years and ive had none of the failures Ive experienced with certain other bulbs of this type.

Redfoots I'll leave to someone who keeps them, how old are they?
the reds are about 2 now i whould put them out under the big uv lamp in the sky but theres foxes and cats running riot and i know if i made a enclosure with a mesh cover a fox whould dig under it

0.2.0 Red Foots george and freda

1.0.0 Rusty dog R.I.P

0.1.0 Mice R.I.P gus gus

0.1.0 guinea pig piglet
nikki81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
Kirkie
Adult

I keep humidity loving box turtles outside, I figure you could do a similar set up for Reds in the summer. Just a big tortoise table, including a plastic lined wooden base, deep substrate and loads of shade plants. Also with a mesh lid.