Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 22-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
yuna1971
Adult

Default You have heard of Ralph's (Neddy's Tort) Great Escape...NOW LILY is AT IT!!!!! HELP!

Well I have been that worried that I have left work and am now at home.

Mother came round today...to find Lily no where in sight.
She found him....pacing BEHIND his 2.5 x 5.5 enclosure!!!! BEHIND IT!!!

Lily...had climbed up the spider plant in one of the corners (this was the corner at the cool end)...(I will point out the ONLY CORNER where I have not added to the sides, to make them higher.)
He had climbed onto the plant, onto his hide Lid....and then got down the other side. So ...a leap of faith there! And it is about 12inches up.
There was a small rock behind it, I use it as a paper weight sometimes. God knows if he went nose first into this....
There is also the little matter of all my leads...for my lights behind here. These are behind, inaccesible to Lily (normally...). He cant get to any of this. Its behind the enclosure and both sides, left and right are blocked off. But...there he was.
So we have trailing leads...oh, also the UV Striip starter motor, The tower plug extension which houses all my plugs on timers - god knows what would have happened if he had knocked this over, all the leads stretched to the max no doubt - giving strain to the light fittings!

I think I have more grey or white hair coming...

In response to this shock...(still shaking my head on how, why, did this happen....)I have taken the spider plant OUT of the corner. Dad has put one of those hamster bridges - the wooden ones, the x large one. And stood this horizontally upright in the corner. Kind of like I have at the warm end.

This is a pic of the one I have at the warm end - ignore all the moss stuff as this was for another post. Ive posted this to show what the basic wood thing is like in the corner - on the cool end. Ignore the log bridge going accross it too, this is not there in either corner.

I cant get to grips on why Lily is acting like this. He is a right tyrant at the moment. His main hobby is climbing...and getting into trouble. He has never done this before. But I think he was planing this. He could see over the top - the only place that isnt built up. He has knocked the plant over 3 times before. I think he stood on it today and true to inquisitive tortoise form - decided he would go one better...then found oops i am stuck up here...

But what is all this scaling of the sides and corners...Lily has done this many times...and I cant never understand why. The temps are great in that room, room temp and warm temp. The lights go out for cooling down the room.
Also the windows open to let breeze in and fresh air. His cuddlys are there...yet there he is climbing bloody spider plants??? What the....

So...thoughts, answers, suggestions, reasons...anyone and everyone.
Still stressing, still scratching my head.

Sorry - its a long post again, true to form for me I guess. I do babble on a bit.
xxx
Thanks for reading my novel...

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 22-06-2010 at 04:04 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Herpard
Adult

Ishi is exactly the same temps are pretty cool in my bedroom today, i have my windows open & a fan,i've turned his heat lamp off but he's still trying to get out.I've found him on his back 10 times today and probably more times yesterday,I think it's just a Male thing?

He also hasn't been able to have his turn outside yet as Pandora is running about on the garden and Squirt is in her little pen out there
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
yuna1971
Adult

**To post an update** I have left Lily sleeping in his hide. I might sound awful...as yes, lovely warm sunny weather. But..I am hoping he has a bit of chill out time. A bit of time to relax after probably a stressful day. I am hoping to let him sleep through. I will not wake him up (unless anyone thinks, actually Rach you should do this). He has not had his daily bath. But I will add some cucumber into his weed mix tommorow. I know this might not be ideal, I know the importance of the bathing. There are several water dishes available for him. But I just dont want to get him up and out, and start having hiim getting all stressed and "Mummy i want to climb up there again...". I am thinking, maybe better to just leave him be for today.

See the other thing was even when Mum and Dad were fixing up the log bridge thing in the corner...Lily was constantly trying to get to it.
Mum left and before she left...she just peeked in through the door...and low and behold, there was Lily striding towards the same place..then up on his hind legs trying to get up...
I worry about falling when he does this...and onto his back. Only saving grace is that even if he did..it isnt up the basking end. Perhaps I should put some small pebbles or something scattered there??

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025

Last edited by yuna1971; 22-06-2010 at 04:30 PM.
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
TortBabe
Adult

Ooh, how scary. Thats like when I put the Tunisians out in their cage outside I have to keep popping in and out to check on them as Dandy is usually to be found on his back...him and his blooming climbing, and outside I need to have things in their enclosures for shelter etc I don't know what you would do with Lily Rach
Old 24-06-2010, 04:40 AM   #5
Set
Egg

Send a message via MSN to Set

He's trying to escape cause he's mad you named him lily
Set is offline   Reply With Quote