Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 21-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
clanks76
Hatched

Default Which is the best UV Light

Hi

Can you advise on the best UV light i should get for my little Spur?

There's a big difference in the price of them so I'm not sure which i should go for.

Any help would be great
clanks76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
yuna1971
Adult

First think about what light you want. You can either go for a UV strip and a basking bulb (2 separate lights) or you can go for an all-in-one combined UV/heat bulb - such as an Arcadia, Solar Glo, or Mega Ray.
Mega Ray are considered to be the best on the market but they have been a bit unreliable of late. That isnt to say that they HAVENT got their act together now. You probably could go for 100w/120w if you decide on the Mega Ray. When you buy you should also get a 6 month warranty. (you can buy these from here: http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/ ) Ask for Darren. (Darren is a member of this forum). But read up on all the MR threads before you decide to buy.
Arcadia are now doing a combined uv/heat bulb - another very good supplier but they have just introduced their bulbs. I think at the moment they only do a 160w. Depending on the size of your table, this might be a little intense for the wee one. But there is talk, of them introducing a lower wattage one...if they havent already. You get a whopping 1 years warranty on these.
Then there is the Solar Glo 125 w - a combined uv/heat bulb - proving to be quite reliable amongst tortoise owners at the moment. It might not be better in its UV decay performance - as of the likes of the Mega Ray and Arcadia - but it is still a sound bulb. Not sure if you get a warranty period on these.
Or...you could go for separates. You could go for a 10%/or 12% UV strip, size will be depending on the size of your enclosure - horizontally. And also go for say a 100w basking bulb - a normal spot bulb (from B&Q is fine).
Hope this helps a bit. xx See other opinions also.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
yuna1971
Adult

Just to say by ringing Darren at Kimbos - he can also talk you through what lighting might suit you and go through things such as what fixtures you will need. He is the UK Mega Ray stockist and he also keeps torts. It might take a few attempts to get hold of him as he does get very busy ! Good luck

Lily's Movie.
Old 21-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
clanks76
Hatched

Brilliant Yuna thats brilliant info x
clanks76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
yuna1971
Adult

You are very welcome, PM me if you need further help on this. FYI - I have a 120w Mega Ray and have (touch wood a million times) had no problems.
If you have mega bucks to spare - and you get a combined bulb - think about getting a Solar meter 6.2 which is a gadget that I have, and some other tort owners have. This little thing allows you to read what UV your combined bulb is giving your tortoise. Some problems with the MR bulbs and others, is that some were found to be throwing out little or NO UV at all. Thus proving the bulbs were faulty. But....there is no way to know this unless you have this gadget. Again Kimbos I think sell them. I will say though...they are NOT cheap. But, they are well worth the money considering what it could save you - if say you had a dud bulb...(ie within the warranty etc, get a replacment)..or you may find you have a bulb and you think its brillant..yet it is not giving out adequate or no UV to your tort. But you just wont know it....
Well...something else to spend money on isnt it! You can easily rack up the pounds spent with tortoises!! Something to think about later on though, when you are sorted with what you want and everything is in place. xx

Lily's Movie.
Old 21-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
yuna1971
Adult

I am babbling again....sorry.

Lily's Movie.