Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 08-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
George I
Egg

Default Problems with indoor enclosure

We have our little horsfield in a 4' x 4' table with a mixture of sand and soil making up about half of the substrate. In recent weeks with the hot weather the substrate has been drying out to the point where george will completely bury himself to get the right humidity.

When we have tried spraying the substrate with water we are finding mould will then grow on the top layer of the substrate.

What methods are people using to keep the humidity at the right level without the mould problems?

He will have by next summer an outdoor enclosure but at the present time the garden is not ready for it to be built.

Thanks
George I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
Kirkie
Adult

Hi

How deep is the substrate? It needs to be deep and compacted. Its unlikely a Horsfield is burrowing to seek out humidity more to thermoregulate, cool down.

Things like slates and roofing tiles will trap pockets of humidity underneath if the concern is you feel the tortoise is seeking humidity.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
George I
Egg

The substrate is about 6 inch deep and is well compacted. We only currently have one 125 watt sola glow lamp on in the enclosure (there is a second 160 watt lamp) which is keeping the temperature during the day at around 22 - 25 degrees.

He only digs in when the humidity drops to the red line on the hygrometer, otherwise he will sit quite happily on the stoned area under the light. It was this that was leading me to believe that the humidity was to low. Although, I am no expert (yet).

There are also a number of slates ramps and stoned areas to try to hold the moisture in the soil. However, it dries out very quickly.

The mould is new. Only occurring over the last couple of days when we have increased the watering of the enclosure to keep the humidity level and the high yellow low green on the hygrometer.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
George I
Egg

Yes, it is supposed to measure moisture content of the air around it.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Pat
Egg

I have put some wet spagnum moss in a plant pot in the torty hide in the garden, rather than wet the soil the heat lamp creates some condensation in the cold frame - some days it is like a mini steam room! It might work indoors too??

Patx
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote