Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 29-06-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
katepalmer
Incubating

Default leopard all weather outhouse housing

hi,

my leos are getting big now and i would like to put them outside full time now,where would i start with the housing !!!!!! a shed ,a small dog house etc , i have 2 leos ranging from 10 inches to 3 inches, and im thinking of getting another one, doing a outdoor run as well in the garden as we speak as rocky ran off on saturday !!!! hes abck now but the stress i had i never want it to happen again lol...... lights i do struggle with do i need a uv in the house as welll in the summer or just the winter , some advice would be great x x x x
Old 29-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

The usual is a insulated shed, or a hot box a 4 foot by 4 foot built mini shed/box this is also insulated, my shed has combined bulb plus 6 foot tubelar heater, last winter was harsh and quite long here and heating on full in the shed was needed for the Leo's.
Old 29-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
Neddy
Sub Adult

You are gonna need one big shed

It also depends where you are, for example I am in Cornwall because its so damp I wouldnt leave Ralph out all year.

If you were going to have a shed it would need to be insulated fully including the roof as that is where the heat will escape...if you were going to have an attached run you would need to have a hatch so it can be closed at night.
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
You are gonna need one big shed

It also depends where you are, for example I am in Cornwall because its so damp I wouldnt leave Ralph out all year.

If you were going to have a shed it would need to be insulated fully including the roof as that is where the heat will escape...if you were going to have an attached run you would need to have a hatch so it can be closed at night.
You would have a slight advantage over me living in Cornwall, keeping Leo's outside in winter in a shed. Bringing in for winter can be difficult when they reach 20 kilo's plus.
Old 30-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
katepalmer
Incubating

insulated !!! what materials would you use for this.... i live in the cotswolds , i am having 2 babies which i will keep in this year and the next so would my 5in tortioise be ok outside or shall i leave him in as well . Rocky is ok as hes a big tortoise but he hates being inside now lol, the second the door is open hes out lol x
Old 30-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Neddy
Sub Adult

lol Ralph is indoors Paul doesnt have a shed..........YET!! but he is still small 7 & half inches will be interesting to see how I resolve the whole indoor thing when he's bigger huh and only have one is definately an advantage

Kate - if you type in insulating a shed into google it will give loads of advice. Its not just heat you gotta keep in but you also need to keep the damp out........
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
Evie
Sub Adult

Hi Kate

If you intend to get another Leopard it would be well worth biting the bullet and getting your enclosure setup now ready for them all as they get bigger.

Mine lived indoors with me until I finally took the plunge and put them outside permently 9 months ago. They are much happier and I find it much easier to control the temps in the enclosure through the winter.

I have 3 that still wonder in on a daily basis through the summer and 1 even settles down in the alcove where she used to sleep !!!

I have a fully insulated enclosure and I had mains electricity connected.

Its not cheap to do it properly but well worth the outlay if you are seriously thinking of keeping leopards longterm.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by katepalmer View Post
insulated !!! what materials would you use for this.... i live in the cotswolds , i am having 2 babies which i will keep in this year and the next so would my 5in tortioise be ok outside or shall i leave him in as well . Rocky is ok as hes a big tortoise but he hates being inside now lol, the second the door is open hes out lol x
The shed can be insulated with any thermo material, some are better than others all belong in the building trade such as, Loft insulation rockwool, this can be messy, thermal boards good can be pricey, polystyrene sheets reasonable priced. These are all used against the roof, walls, floor, then covered with boards. There is a slight advantage on the little ones being outside, they warm up quicker.
Old 30-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
katepalmer
Incubating

ok fab thank you for all that info, anyone brought from the cosy tortoise range ! they have tort houses all done , pricey but worth it !!!! or do you think it would be cheper to make from a garden shed ...... wont be getting other torts till outside is done lol, worried about sending them outside but rocky and gordon are alot happier outside in the day