Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 01-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
fourtorts
Incubating

Default care of redfoots

hi I have two redfoots.. They are eight yrs old and called basil and willie. They weigh around 2.3kgs and 2.1 kgs. They are very tame and curious boys with lots of charachter....When i purchased them they weighed 800 and 600 gms. I have had them for three years and their weight gain has been consistant. I am still learning as I go as I had never owned a tort before and the only advice I was given from the shop where i purchased them was to give them spring greens and bath them every day (pretty damn digusting!!). I got on the internet and have gleaned info where i could ..
In the spring/summer I feed them on weeds, flowers and fruit and a little protein once a week eg a little cooked chicken breast or low fat dried cat food soaked in water.
During the winter I substitute weeds with romaine lettuce, mixed herb salad, watercress, rocket salad, spring greens or kale (only a little) from supermarkets. At all times I alternate on a daily basis nutrobal and limestone flour.
Could someone give me input and advice on my torts diet as I want to give them the best possible diet
fourtorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Seems like you have a pretty good diet to me. How do you house your tortoises? Have you any pictures?

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
fourtorts
Incubating

hi sarah thanks for replying...
It's hard to describe how i house my torts .... It's like a viv (wait) its got three floors each measuring 1.5m x 2m joined by ramps, the torts wiz up and down from one floor to the next . The top floor has a dark area filled with spagnum moss and playbark the second floor has a heater hiding area tiled area for feeding and shower tray complete with drain so i can fill it daily and a water feature I have also recently put in a humidifier which comes on four times a day for an hour each time. The bottom floor has hidey holes and another heater and also a ramp and open door access with ramp to my living room ( extension built with torts home in mind) the room is 40 square meters and the torts are free to go around where they like. Which they do.... The housing is part of a utility room 1.5m deep and has a glass door on the front into the living room.
In the summer they have a ramp out the door to a patio sectioned off for them which leads to a greenhouse complete with an old viv with heater in it.The greenhouse then has access to a rabbit run onto the lawn. so my torts are secure..
I purchased the plastic greenhouse 6x4 last year but the greenhouse didn't survive the winds but it worked well for my torts last year so I have bought an aluminium coldframe 8X4 which i am in the process of erecting As it is only 405ft high it will work well for the torts as it will keep the heat in. I will show you pics when i get huby to show me how to get them on the site
Old 01-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
ossypete
Incubating

sounds like your redfoots are lucky to have an owner like you :_)
ossypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
fourtorts
Incubating

thank you I try my best ...
Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Fallen Angel
Sub Adult

wow can i move in ?

Nicky
Old 01-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
aprillinda

hi fourtorts

looking forwards to seeing pictures
Old 01-04-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
fourtorts
Incubating

hi aprillinda,
Just got the hubby to show me how to put the pics on. This is basil I think he was a bit close to the camera on one of them . i am worried about their shells though (Willie is the same ) as u can see he has a lifting on the shield area. Any ideas what it is?

Old 01-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
piglet
Adult

There are signs of overgrowth but nothing bad , I would say you have done an excellent job growing them on well done , very handsome animals by the way.

D

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
aprillinda

basil is gorgeous

please put some pictures of your housing in the housing section

i am vey interested to visualise it an pinch ideas