Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 28-03-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
katie
Incubating

Default what size do leopards need no cage top

hi when is the right size to let leopards out in the garden with no cat protection as mine are well coved sides and top (wood sides) wire top so they can not get snapped at !!!

what size do you think it would be ok for it to roam free with no overhead protection.
katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
terrypin
Adult

hi this is a very hard question because it depends on what type of predator you expect ,mine spent last year outside with no overhead protection but we have no foxes only polecats they tend to hunt at night and my dogs are about most of the time although they dont have access to any young torts they tend to keep any predators away from the gardens no strange dogs or cats thats for sure we back on to woodland and a reservoir so i need to guard against RATS .in answer to your question though mine are uncovered by about 5 inches .
terry
Old 29-03-2007, 05:38 AM   #3
katie
Incubating

cats and foxs mostly i live in a village in the uk so quiet around here i just worry about cats

thet are 10cm long at the mo do you thinka cage would be better

theres a outdoor rabbbit run at the local shop 7ft x 3ft would this be ok for a year or so to be on the safe side
Old 29-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
terrypin
Adult

hi there if you have any doubts at all which you obviously do i would keep them covered when you cant be home then perhaps a larger perimeter fence for when you can be in the garden they really do benefit from bit of space .
terry
Old 29-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
terrypin
Adult

hi last summer i let my babys loose in the adult pen all summer they all measured between 10 and 14 cm they are so hard to find at night and i dont think they grew much so i will be penning them this year and will supp;ement the diet with some handpicked weeds and i will make sure they are warm before they go out in the morning so they can spend the day grazing also a rabbit dug under the fence and one was missing for days i was so lucky to find him he was out side the fence at the top of the hill near the back gate at 5am he must have been waiting for the sun to come up.i like them to enjoy as much freedom as possible but sometimes you must be a little cautious . if you pen them in the open please be sure they have plenty shaded areas and some bushes they can be a little shy when they are in the open and prefer some sort of cover.also the sun can get very hot.

terry
Old 29-03-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
katie
Incubating

thanks a bunch honey you have answered my questions