Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 26-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #1
mecca7
Egg

Default Tired Sulcata baby

Hi I purchased a healthy baby sulcata from a local breeder on saturday and it seems very tired, it slept most of sunday, was up today but only from about 10-1 then has gone back into his box for another sleep which i dont think he will wake up from until tomorrow. Has anyone else had baby sulcatas? do they sleep a lot? He has not ate any food yet either, but I have bathed him.

Steven
mecca7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
kim davies
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to kim davies

hya ive got an 8mth old baby sulcata and he sleeps alot aswell.has something to eat and goes bak bed!if you have him out they perk up more than way.are you posting any pics?x
Old 27-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
Glitter

Steven,

I dont keep Sulcata's however I do have experience with Leopards.... all of my torts sleep rather a lot.. lazy little things. :P

As long as your tort is eating, drinking and going to the toilet it should be fine. If you are having problems with food intake... give your tort a nice warm ish bath and then feed afterwards... that should wake him/her up.
Old 28-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
mecca7
Egg

thanks, thats really helpful, it does work. He does sleep for at least 21.5 hours of the day though............
Old 30-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
mecca7
Egg

does this sound right? he only comes out for a little while then back into his box for a sleep
Old 30-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
aprillinda

hi

is your tort eating
Old 30-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
nina
Adult

Hi,
Babies do sleep a lot, but what temperatures does he have at the hot end and the cool end of his enclosure (they can sleep more if they are too cold and if they are too hot too).

Nina
Old 30-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
shelley
Hatchling

I have two baby Leo's who are as different as chalk and cheese, one sleeps a lot more than the other and I thought he wasn't eating, but I caught him with grass in his mouth today!!

I was going to ask what your temps are in the tort table, during the day and during the night? And what are you trying to feed him?

He may just be taking a while settling in. Give him a warm bath everyday and then give him some food.... And weigh him so you will be able to see if he is putting weight on or not. Don't forget that if he wee's in his bath, or poo's it will change his weight!

Mum to three Newfoundlands, two Cocker Spaniels, one German Shepherd, 9 Chinchillas, and 4 Hermann's and 2 Leopards... Tortoises that is!

http://pic2.piczo.com/GalaxybearsNewfoundlands
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
mecca7
Egg

Hi, I do have a heat gradient (hot and cold) areas, the hot area directly under the lamp is 28 degress celcius, the cold area where the tortoise goes to sleep is 17 degress celcius, does this sound right?
Old 31-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Steven,
You need to have it at least 32C underneath the lamp and the cool end should be about 20C. He will be a lot more active with the higher temperatures.

Danny