Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 29-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
newforestmum
Hatchling

terrypin what are you planting in your enclosure as I am looking for some ideas to plant my enclosure with

newforestmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #12
terrypin
Adult

hi again i have plenty of weeds and grass growing in the enclosure and it gets full sun all day so its mostly for shade and to break up the eyeline i want them to feel secure when they are outside .i found 2 small clumps of pampas grass and transplanted them also i bought 2 hibiscus shrubs i just hope they have survived the winter the pampas seems to have taken a butterfly bush has appeared from nowhere i just hope it gets established before the tortoises spot it .i will try to root some hottentot fig if they will eat it its like a giant ice plant dont know if the soil is up to it though mostly clay on rubble infill to stabilise the hillside, there are plenty things you can plant as feed but i prefer mine to eat grass as much as possible the planting is to make them feel less exposed the favourite is the pampas grass they all hide under it .
terry
Old 30-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #13
shelley
Hatchling

My Leo's are tiny ikkle fings!!! But when they are bigger they will have an insulated shed and in front of that will be a greenhouse, and that will have an opening to a large enclosure in the garden. I have the shed and greenhouse .... And the garden (!) already, it just all needs putting together! But they won't need it yet a while!

Mum to three Newfoundlands, two Cocker Spaniels, one German Shepherd, 9 Chinchillas, and 4 Hermann's and 2 Leopards... Tortoises that is!

http://pic2.piczo.com/GalaxybearsNewfoundlands
shelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #14
terrypin
Adult

hi before i moved to this house the garden at the old place was much smaller so everything had to work well ,what i did was put the shed and greenhouse on a block base with drop down doors to connect to each other and for access to the outside that way in the winter i could close the outside hatch in the shed so the leopards would have to go into the greenhouse first ,before they went out side this way i could turn off the spots in the greenhouse and save a little electricity on sunny days and they had somewhere to go when it rained and it means the shed stays really warm.you have to make sure the shed is well insulated.
terry
Old 31-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #15
DERVLA
Egg

Send a message via MSN to DERVLA

love the pics