Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
EJ
Adult

More important than worms is protozoa. They can sometimes be present and not detected. Panacur will do nothing against these and protozoa can do more harm than and nematodes (worms).
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #12
GeofferyTheTortoise
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
More important than worms is protozoa. They can sometimes be present and not detected. Panacur will do nothing against these and protozoa can do more harm than and nematodes (worms).
What are the symptoms?
GeofferyTheTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
EJ
Adult

#1 runny stools.

Lack of apatite.

Loss of weight regardless of good eating.

Protozoa present in stools (microscopic exam)(not a guarentee if not present with above symptoms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeofferyTheTortoise
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
What are the symptoms?
and
Old 10-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #14
hobgoblin
Egg

I found out that grissom is an imported tort, i was told his was captive bred in the uk and then when i handed over the cash it said on his forms he was a 4 yr old slovienian tort
Luckily grissom was healthy, we had him checked out by a tort vet who passed him off and a very healthy young man.
We got him on july 9th and he weighed 220g and he now weighs 300g he is entirely fed weeds & nutrobal...he has his tort table for when its cold and his outside enclosure for when the weathers ok.

Personally i think the best thing is to get your tort checked out by a tort vet and remember to take a poo sample.
unfortunately there are always going to be some nasty people in the world but you and I both have our torts and i certainly know i give grissom a pretty good life and the outcome forhim may have been an awful lot worse.

eta....my scales are bog standard kitchen ones....must invest in some electronic ones lol
hobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
TransTort

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
#1 runny stools.

Lack of apatite.

Loss of weight regardless of good eating.

Protozoa present in stools (microscopic exam)(not a guarentee if not present with above symptoms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeofferyTheTortoise
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
What are the symptoms?
Also,a pale tongue can be a sign of worms, causing Anaemia,aswell as the ones Ed has mentioned.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #16
EJ
Adult

This is so true. Sorry I forgot to mention it because that is the first thing when I see all the others. A worm load would have to be enormous to cause this and then Panecure is definetly needed but anemia is also caused by infection of the other stuff. Needless to say the tongue color is a prime indicator.

You are looking for pink to red in color.

Quote:

Also,a pale tongue can be a sign of worms, causing Anaemia,aswell as the ones Ed has mentioned.
and
Old 10-09-2007, 09:19 PM   #17
jackjordandylan
Incubating

Hi there,

Try not to worry yourself too much at the moment about what he may or may not have its easy to stress over these things, as I did when I purchased my first tortoise who was from Slovenia.
If you can, as has been said above try and start off by getting a poo sample done at your vets then take it from there, just remember that worms etc can be treated and it doesn't sound as if he is suffering from any obvious illness (although again this is something that you could get him checked for by vet), Good luck with him and enjoy!
jackjordandylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:16 PM   #18
DAISY
Adult

Hi, I wouldnt get youself in too much of a panic. You have come to a great place for great advice from some very knowledgeable people and thats a start.
I got my first tort about 10 years ago and she was an import, it wasnt until a few years later that I found out what she must have gone through to get here, She has never had any health problems and is still here happy and healthy although I woudnt knowingly take the chance again which is why I waited so long to get my 2 newest additions.
Get all the precautionary checks done to put your mind at ease if nothing else. I know it must have taken the shine of having him, but he is still the same tortoise he was yesterday. Whats done is done so try and relax, enjoy your little man and get the advice of a good vet.

Rach

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:26 PM   #19
wilsonathome
Hatchling

how old is your new tort and what's his weight? i made the same mistake years ago, bought 2 torts after about 2 years of research and they too were from slovenia, they showed no signs of any ilness until about 3 months after i brought them, they both died within 6 months, i had a case with the shop owner and with the help of my vet, the rspca and the ita we got the place closed down, having said that, there's loads of imported torts that live as well and as long as captive bred torts. i think i would want to overwinter him this year though so you can keep an eye on his weight, growth etc
wilsonathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:30 PM   #20
EJ
Adult

Yup... close all the shops... stop all the imports... restrict all the species not from their native range...

I really hope some folks on this list understand this post.

(and it's not to stir stuff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonathome
how old is your new tort and what's his weight? i made the same mistake years ago, bought 2 torts after about 2 years of research and they too were from slovenia, they showed no signs of any ilness until about 3 months after i brought them, they both died within 6 months, i had a case with the shop owner and with the help of my vet, the rspca and the ita we got the place closed down, having said that, there's loads of imported torts that live as well and as long as captive bred torts. i think i would want to overwinter him this year though so you can keep an eye on his weight, growth etc
and