Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 18-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Mine retract their heads quite rapidly when they're trying to clear their noses, at least I think that's what they're doing.
Old 18-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
MeImNot
Incubating

If done once or twice I would guess that its what they normally do...but mine was doing it all day, obviously because of the blocked nose. Funnily enough I never saw it marked as an RI symptom
MeImNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeImNot View Post
If done once or twice I would guess that its what they normally do...but mine was doing it all day, obviously because of the blocked nose. Funnily enough I never saw it marked as an RI symptom
Maybe it's not ( an RI symptom) - I mean, mine have done it after they've had their noses stuck in the food bowl ( they sometimes get soaked pellets, it can go quite mushy) so I think it would clearing anything from the nares, be it mucus, foodstuffs, even grass seeds sometimes
Old 18-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
MeImNot
Incubating

Unfortunately in my case it was an RI symptom infact it was the first symptom she showed. What i'm saying is, that if I knew that retracting the head frequently for no apparent reason (not after eating/drinking) might be because of a blocked nose I would have taken her to the vet at least 5 days earlier than I did... not when she actually started to show some open mouth breathing. She only had a wet nose (not runny) after around 10 days.
Old 18-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

Well, let's hope it doesn't come to anything I know it's a worry, and sometimes it does take quite a while and with repeated occurrences. I had one Ibera that seemed to get it at the drop of a hat, it got to the point when I really felt like giving it all up, just when I thought it was clear it would come back a month or two later. But gradually over time the episodes were less frequent and now he has been clear for about 3 years ( touch wood)

Good luck
Old 18-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
MeImNot
Incubating

Thanks Bindi, but when i hear that noise it kills me with worry maybe its nothing and she'd been just drinking cos I know that she sometimes drinks after waking up...i should wake up before she does and spy on her
Old 21-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
jo__
Incubating

Thank you for the info

She seems ok now, it lasted for around 3 weeks and sounded almost like she was out of breath. It wasn't really bad but it was still a bit worrying. He doesn't seem to be bothering her too much, will keep a close eye on her tho.

Jo
jo__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
MeImNot
Incubating

Seems that the worst may have happened again...my wife saw 2 bubbles out of my torty's nose this afternoon while she was eating She didn't see anymore bubbles for the next 45 minutes and the tort is acting/eating normal.

I know I'm getting too paranoid, but do you think that it will be a good idea if i start nebulizing her with F10? Thanks.

Tags
doxycycline, respiratory infection