Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 25-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
madness1
Incubating

Send a message via Yahoo to madness1
Default a little worried

hi all im a lil worried hope has done nothing but sleep today she had a lil walk about first thing an a lil snack but for 11 hours she has slept i had to move her to her house the temps are 30-32 basking and 28 kool end any ideas, she also made like a clickin noise when i moved her 2nite not loads say 3-4 times, am i being over wrorried here or shall i call the vet
Old 25-02-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
Hurley
Hatched

Send a message via MSN to Hurley

Hurley will sometimes sleep all day, like the other morning he was still asleep at 10.30am (he's normally up at 7), so I woke him up and bathed him and put some weeds out. He didn't even look at the weeds when I put him back in the enclosure...he just walked back to where I had picked him up from, buried himself, and slept there until the next day!! As for the clicking noise, I'm not sure...maybe someone else will be able to advise better

Mummy to Hurley (18 month old Hermanns) & a tiny little baby girl
Hurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
brumb11
Hatched

Just keep a close eye but probably nothing to worry about. Mine had gone very quiet for a couple of days and today he has scaled Mount Everest (well climbed right on top of a plant pot with a pansy in ). I reckon mine was conserving his energy to reach the top of the pansy so watch out over the next couple of days, he will be up to trouble.
brumb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
DAISY
Adult

I think with any unusual noises other than the normal hiss or tort noises (which arent that many) should be investigated if you are concerned. Its better to air on the side of caution particulary if acompanied with a change of behaviour. That said they can have lazy days for reasons only they know
I would try to keep your background temps up for the meantime through the night and of a daytime try and keep the room as bright as you can.

Mum to 12 horsfields, 2 redfoots, 2 spur-thighed, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 guinea pig, 3 chipmunks, 3 african pygmy hedgehogs, 4 bearded dragons, 1 goldfish. 2 daughters and 1 husband.
DAISY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
Dazza
Adult

I would say those temps are a little high - probably making the atmosphere dry - depending on your substrate - personally i would look to have the temps 25 - 28 degrees..

Others will disagree, but these are temperate species not dessert

Dazza
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
dizzywend
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to dizzywend

Hi

Have you been bathing Hope?
All my torts are much more active after a good soak!

Wendy
dizzywend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #7
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi,

The cool end is too warm, this should be around 20 degrees c. Sometimes my tortoises have a lazy day when they dont come out of their hide, I dont worry about them they are always up and about the next day looking for food and exploring.

Ade

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
madness1
Incubating

Send a message via Yahoo to madness1

cheers guys an girls i have adjusted the temps to make a lil bit cooler, been to vet nothing wrong so must of ben one off, she seems perfectly happy today so fingers crossed, but a big thanks