Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 25-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Question Replicating natural habitats of tortoises

What do people think of this? I've tried to do so to a certain extent with my red foots, having a river kind of area, a mini jungle-which mainly has native s.american plants- and a savannah area. Or do you think there is no point of doing this? Just interested to hear people's opinions.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Hanako
Hatchling

I think it definitely looks pretty to design tortoise table or outside space as a natural 'mini jungle'. I wish I was better with creating things like that! But if you are asking if it is essential for the tortoise - I don't know.
Hanako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
alley cat
Adult

I think it is great to try and replicate what they would be have been living in if they were not captive. If a keeper of any captive animal makes the effort to provide an environment that is as close to the animals 'wild version' as possible it shows....

A. That the keeper has researched the animal and is concerned about what its needs are.

B. That the keeper cares about the quality of life and mental stimulation for the captive creature.

Keeping animals is really about us, as keepers we choose to contain an animal for our own benefit, so it is up to us to do our very best to care for the animal according to how it would have lived naturally, obviously there are many constraints and interpretations of this, but in the case of tortoises I believe that just providing heat, light, humidity, food and water is not enough, environmental enrichment is a must!
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
FLINTUS
Juvenile

So this kind of comes back to the basic needs of a tortoise. What are the absolute basics for a tort to be able to live-not thrive- out it's life expectancy?
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
Old 25-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Lisamn
Hatchling

Light, heat, food, water. The same as the rest of us I suppose...
Lisamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Gordon
Adult

My torts have a very well enhanced run plants water rocks hills places to hide they seem happy to stay in the green house all day .so im thinking am i making it nice for them or me to sit and look at
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINTUS View Post
So this kind of comes back to the basic needs of a tortoise. What are the absolute basics for a tort to be able to live-not thrive- out it's life expectancy?
I disagree with that. I don't think tortoise 'needs' a recreation of natural environment with a river kind of area, a mini jungle and a savannah area as a basic need. It definitely is nice to have it, but without it I don't believe it would be just 'surviving' (living and not thriving).

Same as people and a lovely villa. It is like if you were saying that a beautiful villa is basic need and without that it is just living and not thriving. There is also some middle ground. I am not saying that people would do well without having any accommodation (and tortoises having some sort of environment), but I don't think that if one decides to go the way you do, that it is a basic need.
Old 25-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako View Post
I disagree with that. I don't think tortoise 'needs' a recreation of natural environment with a river kind of area, a mini jungle and a savannah area as a basic need. It definitely is nice to have it, but without it I don't believe it would be just 'surviving' (living and not thriving).

Same as people and a lovely villa. It is like if you were saying that a beautiful villa is basic need and without that it is just living and not thriving. There is also some middle ground. I am not saying that people would do well without having any accommodation (and tortoises having some sort of environment), but I don't think that if one decides to go the way you do, that it is a basic need.
No that's not what I was saying, I was asking what the basics are needed for torts. Never said they needed what I've got in my set up
Fish
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
Old 25-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Hanako
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINTUS View Post
No that's not what I was saying, I was asking what the basics are needed for torts. Never said they needed what I've got in my set up
Sorry, I misunderstood!

Basics- food with the proper nourishment (vitamins, calcium), water, correct temperature, light, UV light, some hiding opportunities
Old 25-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
alley cat
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisamn View Post
Light, heat, food, water. The same as the rest of us I suppose...
Well yes, that will probably keep your tortoise alive, the question is about whether it is beneficial to the tortoise to provide more than this.

I am not saying it has to be anything fancy just interesting for the tortoise, things to hide in, sight barriers, plants to shade under, soil to dig in etc. If it can replicate what the tortoises natural environment would be, how can that not be beneficial? if it works in nature and the tortoises thrive then it makes sense to me that it can only be a good thing!

If you own a dog would you just shut it in a kennel and provide it with its basic needs but not bother to walk it? or not bother to give it any mental stimulation such as a toy? or stroke it? or play with it? I think most dogs left in this situation would bark and form repeated habits probably similar to Polar Bears used to in zoos.
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote