Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 20-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Default Volcano and Iceland

I was watching this amazing video footage of the Icelandic volcano http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8695652.stm
and wonder if anyone has ever been up close to one or seen one erupt

Has anyone been to Iceland? I would love to go there for a holiday
Old 20-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Coolsox
Hatched

I have never seen an active volcano but hope to one day. The most accessible active volcanos in Europe are Etna and Stromboli. You can go on a guided tour to the summit of Stromboli to watch the eruptions that happen every 20 minutes or so.

Proud owner of 3 Hermanns, Kaia, Naja & Dax
Coolsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
SeeShell
Adult

Yes, I have been and can honestly say it was one of my best hols ever. It has such a vast and varied array of landscapes. In a small country you can see active volcanoes, mud pools, sulphur pits, glaciers, geezers, icebergs...... It is very lunar in appearance and sometimes can feel quite depressing because of all the dark volcanic ash. Then you turn a corner, look into a crater, and see the most greenish / blue water you have ever seen. The water in the rivers is also just an amazing colour. You can drink it straight it's so clean and pure. And if you go you must go to the blue lagoon. We were based mostly in Rekjjavic but also flew north to Aukeyriri (sorry can't quite recall how to spell it!) and saw Lake Mavetyn which was just fantastic. You also want to hire a 4 wheel drive and go offroad. You must go if you get the chance; only downside is it's costly and the weather can be very unpredictable!
SS
SeeShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
TortBabe
Adult

I go to Iceland twice a week Sorry, I couldn't resist that
Old 21-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
justmeandmytortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeShell View Post
Yes, I have been and can honestly say it was one of my best hols ever. It has such a vast and varied array of landscapes. In a small country you can see active volcanoes, mud pools, sulphur pits, glaciers, geezers, icebergs...... It is very lunar in appearance and sometimes can feel quite depressing because of all the dark volcanic ash. Then you turn a corner, look into a crater, and see the most greenish / blue water you have ever seen. The water in the rivers is also just an amazing colour. You can drink it straight it's so clean and pure. And if you go you must go to the blue lagoon. We were based mostly in Rekjjavic but also flew north to Aukeyriri (sorry can't quite recall how to spell it!) and saw Lake Mavetyn which was just fantastic. You also want to hire a 4 wheel drive and go offroad. You must go if you get the chance; only downside is it's costly and the weather can be very unpredictable!
SS

Wow, this sounds a must. I guess it is easy to get to from Scotland? Is it very cold? Is it costly buying stuff out there - food etc?
Old 21-05-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeShell View Post
SS
Wow, that sounds beautiful! If I had the chance I would go. Are there any tortoises there? That would be the cherry on top Tortoises
Old 21-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #7
EquestrianBabe
Adult

Send a message via MSN to EquestrianBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolsox View Post
I have never seen an active volcano but hope to one day. The most accessible active volcanos in Europe are Etna and Stromboli. You can go on a guided tour to the summit of Stromboli to watch the eruptions that happen every 20 minutes or so.
Someone from my school brought in a poster thing about there was going to be a programme on TV about volcano eruptions and there was something about the Stromboli volcano on it, too. Stromboli is a cool name! I wonder who thinks of these names!
Old 21-05-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
SeeShell
Adult

I was there in July and actually wasn't that cold; more rainy and cloudy! I was surprised; thought it would be colder. Certainly wouldn't go over winter though!! Yes, food etc is expensive. Just go for a short break; mabye 3 or 4 days and cram in as much as you can!
SS
ps no - didn't see any torts eb!!
SeeShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
daveg
Incubating

It's on my list of places to go...

I'd time it so I could see Bjork in concert aswell! Would be amazing
daveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Jazzotang
Hatchling

I would love to go it does look like an amazing place,parts of it almost look like another planet. I would also like to have go on one of the super fast snow speeders they have out there!