Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #31
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy View Post
Yes thats the freeze. We had standpipes to be able to get water, as pipes froze. No central heating. But the community spirit was alive and well. Everyone helping each other. Which seems to have disappeared over time. It seems everyone for themselves now. We are one of the only ones in our part of road to have cleared (well husband has) our drive three days running and saltinging the drive with bags of salt I still had from 2009 the last large amount of snow:0)
Our daughter in the south of France actually had snow the week before us, and very high winds.
We're lucky to be in a private drive with only two immediate neighbours, so we help each other out. That said, next door have gone to Thailand and missed it all.

In my naivety I imagined the south of France to be mild through the winter. Hope your daughter didn't get any damage to her home. High winds are awful.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:17 PM   #32
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
We're lucky to be in a private drive with only two immediate neighbours, so we help each other out. That said, next door have gone to Thailand and missed it all.

In my naivety I imagined the south of France to be mild through the winter. Hope your daughter didn't get any damage to her home. High winds are awful.
I think most presume the SOF to be warmer than here, but at night especially in the Winter its a lot colder. But they do get it a little warmer during the daytime.
The childrens trampoline has now been blown to pieces as have some tree branches. But thankfully not much else was damaged.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #33
Gordon
Adult

Well after all that snow my leopards have ventured out they came out yesterday and took a look at the snow and today they are out eating grass
Also while I was out watching them I was watching Mr Robin building his nest in my bbq of all places I took a quick peek and the nest is best part complete.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #34
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Well after all that snow my leopards have ventured out they came out yesterday and took a look at the snow and today they are out eating grass
Also while I was out watching them I was watching Mr Robin building his nest in my bbq of all places I took a quick peek and the nest is best part complete.
I read that as " snow leopards have ventured out " and I'm thinking " why wouldn't they, they live in snowy climates" that my friend is dyslexia for you

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:48 PM   #35
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze65 View Post
I read that as " snow leopards have ventured out " and I'm thinking " why wouldn't they, they live in snowy climates" that my friend is dyslexia for you
I recon I must be dyslexic as I do that all the time much to my own amusement
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #36
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I recon I must be dyslexic as I do that all the time much to my own amusement
One does have to see the funny side, it got me thinking , have you really got snow leopards, or are you talking about Marwell zoo

Old 11-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #37
Suze65
Adult

I got my girlies up this weekend, and they are all looking gorgeous , so happy they are up. Naughty Ptolome is up too and looking quite magnificent , I'm sure he's grown over the winter. And I've decided he's staying, I was re homing him to a family member, but they are not saying the right things to convince me that they have grasped all the information that I have been giving them. So I have plans as to how I can extend his space in the garden. I can't let my boy go to anything less than a true tortoise geek and I don't think they are.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #38
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
I got my girlies up this weekend, and they are all looking gorgeous , so happy they are up. Naughty Ptolome is up too and looking quite magnificent , I'm sure he's grown over the winter. And I've decided he's staying, I was re homing him to a family member, but they are not saying the right things to convince me that they have grasped all the information that I have been giving them. So I have plans as to how I can extend his space in the garden. I can't let my boy go to anything less than a true tortoise geek and I don't think they are.
Good for you, Suze!!
Looking forward to seeing your torts all enjoying the garden again this year.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #39
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Good for you, Suze!!
Looking forward to seeing your torts all enjoying the garden again this year.
Ptolome went out in the garden today for about 1/2 an hour, the sun was quite warm , he found a few weeds and had little wonder.

Old 13-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #40
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Ptolome went out in the garden today for about 1/2 an hour, the sun was quite warm , he found a few weeds and had little wonder.
Lovely to hear that. I think Bertie would have gone out if I had left his exit open, but I was not at home. He didn't go to bed until 1845! He has been first up and last to bed, Beatrice is being very lazy and looking at me as if I have woken her up too early from hibernation!