Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 18-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
Joey
Egg

Default Where to buy from??

Well, after years of will I, won't I - I have finally decided that now I have enough knowledge ... and help at hand to buy my first tort. But this is a big deal as I expect to be making arrangements for him/her/them in my will (I'm 31 now) and am very nerves of deciding whom to buy from and what to look out for. I am thinking of buying in the next good few months .. may be even next Spring so have pleanty of time to 'shop around' as I am in no rush and would like the Tort garden to mature and things to be just so before any body shelled comes to live with us.
I am thinking of Horsefield, Hermann or Spur thighed. Could anybody help me out on caring, relayable breeders whom are not just in to Tors for the money, but are willing to help a first timer out right!!

Thankyou very much for your help in advance ...[/code]
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2006, 11:03 PM   #2
aprillinda

hi joey welcome there is a breeders section on th home page
Old 18-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

Great to see you doing research first. Have you seen the breeders list on the front page www.shelledwarriors.co.uk all the breeders there are great and will help you no end.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
Joey
Egg

Never really looked at the home page - missed that one some how but thank you for your help.
We do have a few animals here and each one has been researched and vetted before coming to live with us. Pets seam perfect when you think of them, but owning them is a total different ball game

I have wanted a tort since my aunt had two and as a kid I used to see them falling all over the pavement out side a horrid pet shop I would often pass and try to close my eyes as I did. Joey was my Aunt's Tort whom she guessed was near to 30 when she lost him, Josephine, her second Tort died very young, she was found with a cracked shell and nail varnish smeared on her in the garden ... all a very long time ago but I have known I would one day have one as I have never lost my passion for having one of my own, but scared of finally bringing one in to the house as I would be so devistated if I got it wrong and lost it during my life time, I have toyed with the idea and asked a few breeders questions but never taken it further ... this is now a bigger step asking you ... but please do not expect pictures of a new Torty mummy in any kind of hurry!!!

As a first time keeper, which would you say is the best 1st time owners Tort? A Tort that is a tiny bit more forgiving if I was to get some thing wrong, I know I am not going to get things just so straight away so would need some thing a little more robust that would allow me little faults and not come to any seriouse harm!!
Old 19-07-2006, 03:32 AM   #5
aprillinda

hi joey

my advise would be do all the reseach that is necessary .. so that u feel confident that u could give your tort the best

please do not step into this feeling " i need a robust tort cus i feel i will do things wrong"

with good research and good advice from recomended breeders you should not need " a forgiving tort"

take your time and learn ....... then i am sure you will be a great tort keeper
Old 19-07-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Joey
Egg

Thank you, I will do I know at the moment I have not got the confidence to buy my new friend as yet!!