Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 22-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #1
Jan W
Sub Adult

Default What I learnt this summer

My 2 spent their first spring and summer outside, with access to their indoor pen (upside down wardrobe) housed within an old outbuilding from their garden area. It was a big change for them and me (worry pants) as I had to relinquish control. From their arrival at 2 years they have always spent time outside in a secure pen, but only stayed overnight if really barmy. If cool out then stayed in indoor pen.

Of course, at 8 years old they survived and thrived this year.

1. They love having so much space. Bertie was less sexually active, seemed happier to laze about than chase Beatrice.
2. They spent time together, but also apart.
3. Bertie really likes the heat, Beatrice prefers the shade when hot.
4. Beatrice seems to need more sleep than Bertie - up later and earlier to bed.
5. Preferred eating weeds from the ground than those in a pile.
6. Bertie seems to recognise the smell of nutrobol, Beatrice not bothered.
7. Beatrice likes long baths, Bertie finds 5 mins long enough.
8. Bertie is happy in torrential rain, Beatrice heads for cover.
9. They prefer top soil/sand mixture to coir. (I tried giving a choice in pen, outside covered area and outbuilding - always chose soil).
10. Quiet for first week or so, then a couple of weeks at looking at how to get out and then never saw that again.
11. Other than when it was really warm at night, kept a ceramic lamp on overnight, which they both chose to lie beneath.
12. After hibernation had to trim their beaks earlier this year but haven't had to do again and all looks good.

So now worrying about hibernation plans, but that will be the next update.

Thanks to everyone on the forum that has contributed to not only my questions but all the discussion. It gave me the confidence to progress.
Old 23-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
My 2 spent their first spring and summer outside, with access to their indoor pen (upside down wardrobe) housed within an old outbuilding from their garden area. It was a big change for them and me (worry pants) as I had to relinquish control. From their arrival at 2 years they have always spent time outside in a secure pen, but only stayed overnight if really barmy. If cool out then stayed in indoor pen.

1. They love having so much space. Bertie was less sexually active, seemed happier to laze about than chase Beatrice.
9. They prefer top soil/sand mixture to coir. (I tried giving a choice in pen, outside covered area and outbuilding - always chose soil).
10. Quiet for first week or so, then a couple of weeks at looking at how to get out and then never saw that again.
11. Other than when it was really warm at night, kept a ceramic lamp on overnight, which they both chose to lie beneath.
12. After hibernation had to trim their beaks earlier this year but haven't had to do again and all looks good.

Thanks to everyone on the forum that has contributed to not only my questions but all the discussion. It gave me the confidence to progress.

This is how tortoises should be monitored:0)
You get to know so much more about your tortoise and how they use your garden.
Watch and learn is the way to go,

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #3
burnt toast
Adult

Its very interesting. I have had a couple of health issues with torts this year but I knew months before these problems revealed what they were that something "wasnt quite right with these torts" didnt know what it was at the time but I was pleased looking back through my records I had highlighted they needed "watching".
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
Its very interesting. I have had a couple of health issues with torts this year but I knew months before these problems revealed what they were that something "wasnt quite right with these torts" didnt know what it was at the time but I was pleased looking back through my records I had highlighted they needed "watching".

Lol sometimes the watching is just relaxing with them:0)
Its surprising what you take in while amongst the tort and you dont always realise you are learning about them.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

Observing tortoises is so important, and learning their individual habits, this way we can hopefully spot any changes in their normal habits and behaviour early. And it's why I love spending time just sitting in the garden just watching them.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 07:26 PM   #6
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post

Love this Jan, it really it good to read all the detail. They are super Torts in Tort Fort. Can't wait for next year too !! I think you should add to this post as updates progress as their activity and likes may change too !! CB
Old 25-10-2016, 07:56 PM   #7
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I also find observing tortoises to be so absorbing and interesting! I literally can watch them for hours and over time like Jan I notice all the small things they do and how they do it.

I think this is how our tortoises become such individuals for us. Other people look at them and might say 'oh there are some nice tortoises' but they just don't understand!!
Old 25-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I also find observing tortoises to be so absorbing and interesting! I literally can watch them for hours and over time like Jan I notice all the small things they do and how they do it.

I think this is how our tortoises become such individuals for us. Other people look at them and might say 'oh there are some nice tortoises' but they just don't understand!!
That's right, OTHER people just don't understand, they really don't. I'm sure some of my friends think keeping tortoises is a very odd thing to do.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think most of my friends think I am an odd thing and the Tortoises are the ok ones ! CB