Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 24-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
PumpkinPie
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to PumpkinPie
Default Managing illness & work...

I just wanted to ask something that I have been thinking about lately...I've heard about the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) which means that you cannot be penalised for poor performance at work as a result of serious illness or disability. Do you think it would be reasonable to request a reduction in working hours if you are being affected by an illness or disability? Maybe a company could turn around and say that if you can't manage the job then you should find another?

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with stuff like this? I have searched on the Google but can't really find much...I'm not really sure where you find out about these kinds of things either.

Thanks!
PumpkinPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Hi Steve not sure hope someone might know as were all in different walks of life. DDA sounds like it may be found in the Gov web site. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm
Old 24-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
lizzy k
Incubating

I would think a company would have to manage a situation like this appropriately, such as through Occupational Health or certain HR policies. I suppose it depends on the size of the employer. There is also 'access to work' which can provide certain equipment. This is accessed through jobcentreplus.

Perhaps the Citizens Advice Bureau would help, or look on disability specific websites such as 'Disability Alliance'.
Old 25-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
anna m
Adult

put in workers rights in your goggle search
this might be the one Paul has found

you can negosiate a change in the hours you work

your employer doesn't have to accept it but would be good practice if they did
the disabled discrimination act is getting stronger
Old 25-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

You will find that it all sounds very good in theory but mostly it just doesn't happen
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
eliza
Hatched

ATM I am on the sick from work its not due to an illness as such but im currently pregnant and due to problems ive had in the past my consultant has advised me to stop working for a short period of time. Hopefully in afew weeks I will be returning but will have to drop my hours which my employer has been fine about.
eliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
PumpkinPie
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to PumpkinPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
You will find that it all sounds very good in theory but mostly it just doesn't happen
That's what I thought...A guy from work had a baby with his wife, she was deaf and he was working night shift and if the baby cried through the night she would not know. He asked to work different hours but the management refused, he took it to HR higher up and was eventually allowed. The company I work for is a large, international company but I think they're notoriously stubborn when it comes to things like this...

I have been looking for a different job but I have a loan to pay which is finished next year so I'm a bit stuck, even working 3 days a week at my current job I'd still make more than what I'd earn working 5 days a week anywhere else.
PumpkinPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinPie View Post
That's what I thought...A guy from work had a baby with his wife, she was deaf and he was working night shift and if the baby cried through the night she would not know. He asked to work different hours but the management refused, he took it to HR higher up and was eventually allowed. The company I work for is a large, international company but I think they're notoriously stubborn when it comes to things like this...

I have been looking for a different job but I have a loan to pay which is finished next year so I'm a bit stuck, even working 3 days a week at my current job I'd still make more than what I'd earn working 5 days a week anywhere else.
I thought the modern trend in employment was job share and part time working, your comp must be one of the last traditionist, full time or now't.
Old 25-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

18 months ago I had reason to use the DDA in a complaint against our council, my MSP took it up with the Scottish Parliament and I proved how according to the DDA, the DDA legislation was not being adhered to by the council. The Council said they were directed by the Scottish Parliament and they in turn said the decision could only be made by the council, both passing the buck. In the end I won but it felt as though I had lost, I know I only won because the head honcho at the council is a mate of my MP

Things to consider at work
You can play an active role in discussing these arrangements with your employer. You might also want to encourage your employer to speak to someone with expertise in providing work-related help for disabled people, such as an occupational health adviser.

Issues for you both to consider include:

•how effective will an adjustment be?
•will it mean that your disability is slightly less of a disadvantage or will it significantly reduce the disadvantage?
•is it practical?
•will it cause much disruption?
•will it help other people in the workplace?
•is it affordable?
You may want to make sure that your employer is aware of the Access to Work programme run by Jobcentre Plus. Through this programme, employers can get advice on appropriate adjustments and possibly some financial help towards the cost of the adjustments

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...hts/DG_4001071

As I say though, it's different when it comes down to it, nobody will do anything, the firm will not be prosecuted or anything like that for not complying unless at the end of a very long process by which time they will have found an escape route. Some firms are very good and know it makes them look good to do everything they possibly can to help but they are in the minority, it comes down to making money at the end of the day, employees come second in most cases.

Last edited by Alan1; 25-07-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
Lolly8
Adult

You can try this forum.There is about DDA and if you ask they can give very useful information and help.
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...ment-problems/