Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 14-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
aprillinda

Default fireweed & woodruff

hi can torts eat

"fireweed" also known as Rosebay Willow Herb

if so all bits?

thanks
Old 14-07-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

hmm I think someone asked before and I think the it was said to be unsafe. Not entirely sure though.

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 02:03 AM   #3
aprillinda

oops must have missed that

perhaps somebody can give me a definate answer ....

also is there a biological or chemical reason why some weeds r good and some r bad???

thanks linda
Old 15-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
piglet
Adult

Hi Linda
all the willow herbs are toxic but the occasional nibble seems ok ,
Toxins vary in weeds depending on the species , for instance nightshade,henbane,figwort all contain different alkaloid's that cause different side affects swollen kidneys ,liver damage.chronic breathing problems.
Other highly toxic plants are ivy,buckthorn,mercury,asarabacca,herb paris,woodruff are but a few ,i will be doing a toxic weed list plus adding to the existing edible weeds hopefully tomorrow
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
aprillinda

thanks

great to see weed section growing
Old 15-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #6
nina
Adult

Default Woodruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet
Hi Linda
all the willow herbs are toxic but the occasional nibble seems ok ,
Toxins vary in weeds depending on the species , for instance nightshade,henbane,figwort all contain different alkaloid's that cause different side affects swollen kidneys ,liver damage.chronic breathing problems.
Other highly toxic plants are ivy,buckthorn,mercury,asarabacca,herb paris,woodruff are but a few ,i will be doing a toxic weed list plus adding to the existing edible weeds hopefully tomorrow
Darren
Hi Darren,
Is sweet woodruff (galium odoratum) different from the woodruff that you mention above, because I've seen it on list of safe plants (I think it is Jane Nicoll's list), and my horsfield has certainly eaten a bit of it in the past - in fact there's some of it growing in his enclosure now. Now I'm really worried!

Nina
nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
aprillinda

nina according to my reference book woodruff and sweet woodruff are the same plant ie galium odoratum

it does not say much else, but the book says it can be added to scent summer drinks and put between linen

i am sure darrn will clarify matters soon
Old 15-07-2006, 07:43 PM   #8
piglet
Adult

Hi Nina
Woodruff (G odouratum) is a memeber of the bedstraw family ( galium spp) it is believed to cause internal bleeding if ingested by humans i would of thought it would have the same effect in animals , i'm sure the odd nibble is harmless as my own animals ( torts) often nibble at plants on the toxic list to no ill affect
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
aprillinda

well thats done it then

i've just put a couple of sprigs in my g&t
Old 15-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
nina
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet
Hi Nina
Woodruff (G odouratum) is a memeber of the bedstraw family ( galium spp) it is believed to cause internal bleeding if ingested by humans i would of thought it would have the same effect in animals , i'm sure the odd nibble is harmless as my own animals ( torts) often nibble at plants on the toxic list to no ill affect
Darren
Thanks, Darren. I didn't know that bedstraw was not good either (Martin Dann, on another forum, said that bedstraw is edible but contains lots of astringents and tannins, so not to overdo it). My russian loves bedstraw (cleavers/goosegrass), but I'll cut that out of his diet now and also pull up the woodruff that is growing in his enclosure.

Nina
nina is offline   Reply With Quote