Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 21-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
shelmarie
Hatchling

Question Heat Mats

Hi

I'm really struggling to keep my temps up at night, as my torts are in a big room and my radiators aren't thermostat controlled so i cant leave the heating on. I haven't yet been able to buy heat emmitters.

I have a few heat mats that can be used but want to know where is the correct place to put them. I know they need to be in there sleeping area but would any heat get through if i placed them on the outside as opposed to the inside, or will the heat not emmit through?

I'm a little weary about leaving heat mats in with them overnight but i cant let them freeze all winter.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks xx
Old 22-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Watermelon
Adult

I know this sounds bad but I have a blanket draped over night and day. its a baby blanky with lots of square holes. It's nowhere near the lights at all so cant catch fire but it really really does help insulate the heat and bumps the temps up!
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I think folk put them on the side wall
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Anita Sayles
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Anita Sayles

I use one under the substrate on a night/day thermostat. Temps set for 25 in the day and drops to 18.5-19 at night. It's in his bedding area and it's not been a problem, I check the temps daily with an infrared thermometer and they don't alter.
He doesn't dig down I guess because he's ok - the mat is covered with a slate and then a good depth of soil. He gets up in the morning no problem and is feeding well.
Because we work there is no heating on in the room in the day and it can get a bit nippy, of course because of the thermostat if the room is warmer than the above the mat doesn't switch on.
I also have 2 bedding areas one which is unheated so he can please himself to where he sleeps. The mat only heats a small area on the table giving him the option to use it or not.
I like to provide an alternate warm area for him rather than him having to seek out the UVB... anyway works ok for me
Old 22-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

I also have mats under the bedding in the sleep area, the sully's is on all the time on a thermostat the babies just at night, both are well covered and I've never had any probs. The torts wake up nice and warm and are far more active through the day, if you're worried you can always put something under and above the mat, ie cooking foil under it and something like thin perspex on top, the soil only ever gets warm but my sullys covered sleep area stays lovely and cosy, her's is boxed in the babies sleep under a bit of cork bark. I also find the the bark helps to keep the under area more humid when sprayed.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Easter Bunny
Adult

I use a infared bulb at night which does the job perfectly xxx
Old 22-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Neddy
Sub Adult

I use a ceramic heat bulb for Ralph, but there is no reason why you cant stick the heat mats on the sides

A lot of people have used them under the soil but they are meant to be stuck on the outside of tanks for a reason.....

xx
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
emma_mcraf
Adult

Like Lynne, I use an infra bulb on a timer through the night. They're much cheaper than ceramic heaters and do the job nicely. My ambient temps are staying at around 20 degrees and the torts are lively in the mornings.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
yuna1971
Adult

I use a Komodo Ceramic Heat emitter (Komodo Radiant heat) 100w, rigged up to a holder, stand and a dimmer thermostat. Setting is about 18degrees and its angled in - (but coming in from behind) - to where Lily sleeps. All hunky dory. Works fine - I usually go in when hes sleeping and just check its not blaring it too intense on him - it never is, ...just very gentle. Heat mats can also do the job fine if placed correctly and on a thermostat. xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
shelmarie
Hatchling

thanks for the advice everyone think i will give it a try tonight on the outside to start with and see how i get on.

thanks again for all the advice, this is only a temporary measure but i need the extra heat