Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 26-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
houseofcutler
Hatched

Default Outdoor Advise needed

Hi All,

It turns out that my garden is not ideal for tortoises - If only I had had my torts when I was buying a house last year I would have got somethign more suitable

The garden seems to be north facing (I think) as the front of the house gets most of the sun. I am also limited on space partly as the garden isn't massive and mostly because my OT is determined to maintain some of it for non tortoise based projects.

I was planning on setting up a 'good weather only' outdoor grazing area using a raised bed. It is 1m x 1m, I will add some struts and a frame so I can create a chicken wire hinged top to keep the cats out and I was thinking of putting a cold frame in it for some extra heat. My torts are only 8 Months old so still really small.

The raised be behind is where we grow our veg and off limits

I have transplanted a couple of sow thistle plants and put in a few Violoa, a Bell Flower and a hibiscus (although its just twigs at the moment). I'll put a few pansys in today and the rest of the area has been planted with TLady tortoise seed mix.

If anyone has any suggestions on anything to add to this or alternate/additional ideas I may be able to put in place I would love the hear them

Thanks

0.0.2 THB Slow Vincent Gonzales & Rita Queen of Speed
See my tortoises
Live Feed

Testudo Weight Recorder with Jackson calculation and graphs

houseofcutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
sprakey34
Egg

Hi,
This looks fine for small torts. You could add shelters - flower pots on their sides or wood structures, stones for different surface texture and lay the substrate in mounds and dips to break up the view at tortoise -eye level, a piece of slate/tile/piece of slab to feed tort from and a shallow dish of water.
Meriel.x
sprakey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
pwinkie03
Hatchling

Looks good for your little tort, but i agree with sprakey34, there needs to be some textures and things to break the line of sight to make it interesting. This is my small enclosure for my pancakes, it is obviously more packed with hides and things because that suits a pancakes needs but you can probably take some inspiration from it http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=49080 hope that helps, Louise

0.0.2 Pancake Tortoise - You can see more of Sheldon, Swarley and Spartacus (RIP) at... http://www.youtube.com/user/SheldonandSwarely

pwinkie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Gordon
Adult

Looks good the only thing is has it got a base to it as i have two TGI,s the same age and they can dig real fast
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
houseofcutler
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnip View Post
Looks good the only thing is has it got a base to it as i have two TGI,s the same age and they can dig real fast
Yes it has - I forgot to mention I dug it out about 9 inches and put in a couple of big rubble sacks worth of smashed up concrete before I put the soil back in.

Not the full extent of drainage systems people have been recommending on here but as the torts will only be out on good days super drainage is not really necessary.

I will also sink some kind of plastic edging in around the inside of the walls to stop them digging under them

See my tortoises
Live Feed

Old 28-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
houseofcutler
Hatched

Thanks for the suggestions - I haven't added and hides etc. yet as I am waiting for things to grow but will definatly take your ideas on board. Pwinkie I have already seen your thread and am very envious actually - already thought about buying the same king of thing but I dont think I have any space to keep it - No garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprakey34 View Post
Hi,
This looks fine for small torts. You could add shelters - flower pots on their sides or wood structures, stones for different surface texture and lay the substrate in mounds and dips to break up the view at tortoise -eye level, a piece of slate/tile/piece of slab to feed tort from and a shallow dish of water.
Meriel.x
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwinkie03 View Post
Looks good for your little tort, but i agree with sprakey34, there needs to be some textures and things to break the line of sight to make it interesting. This is my small enclosure for my pancakes, it is obviously more packed with hides and things because that suits a pancakes needs but you can probably take some inspiration from it http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=49080 hope that helps, Louise

See my tortoises
Live Feed