Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 17-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
Liamtw2
Egg

Unhappy Why has my 5yo Herman died?

I've had my herman tortoise (Donatello) since she was about 5 months, never had any problems with her, she eats dandelions, petals give her a treat everyone and then, has the perfect housing and I regularly change it to keep clean.

Yesterday I noticed she didn't eat her dandelions and went to bed early, which was odd but though okay see her tomorrow, in the morning I switched the lights on and she came plodding out like herself and I though all was fine, gave her fresh dandelions and a little stroke on the head then went to visit my mum, wen I returned she was near her heat lamp and completely still, her legs have gone lose and so has her head, I tried to bath her tried a bit of fruit, I think she has definitely passed.

I have now noticed a lack of poo in her housing which I've read stories of tortoises getting blockages etc. but she ate correctly and gave her vitamins and baths.

Why has this happened? Or does it just happen to the best of us sometimes
Liamtw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
tortydat
Sub Adult

Sorry to hear your news but sadly unless you have a postmortem you can never be sure what the problem was.

Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamtw2 View Post
I've had my herman tortoise (Donatello) since she was about 5 months, never had any problems with her, she eats dandelions, petals give her a treat everyone and then, has the perfect housing and I regularly change it to keep clean.

Yesterday I noticed she didn't eat her dandelions and went to bed early, which was odd but though okay see her tomorrow, in the morning I switched the lights on and she came plodding out like herself and I though all was fine, gave her fresh dandelions and a little stroke on the head then went to visit my mum, wen I returned she was near her heat lamp and completely still, her legs have gone lose and so has her head, I tried to bath her tried a bit of fruit, I think she has definitely passed.

I have now noticed a lack of poo in her housing which I've read stories of tortoises getting blockages etc. but she ate correctly and gave her vitamins and baths.

Why has this happened? Or does it just happen to the best of us sometimes

Sorry about your loss.
Blockages are generally caused by bladder stones, which can be caused by dehydration and too higher temps all day long.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
tortydat
Sub Adult

I think if there had been any form of blockage you would have seen evidence of straining for a while.

Mary
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
Catwoman63
Adult

Yes I agree with tortydat, however, you may not have seen the tort straining, I'm so sorry for your loss, it must be so upsetting losing a tort after having it for 5 years

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm really sorry for your loss.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
Neddy
Sub Adult

I am sorry to hear this, it is always sad when a pet dies. Nothing worse thennot understanding why either so I really do sympathise.

Like others have suggested a postmortem is the only way and even then they may not be able to say exactly why.

We wont be able to tell you why your tortoise has died but what we can do is confirm the conditions and diet are suitable (just in case you want to get another one, when your ready):

What were you feeding, dandelion leaves and what else, describe what you are feeding on a daily basis?

What temps were you keeping her at?

How often did you bath her?

What lighting were you using?

How often did she go out side to graze and sun herself?

And if you can upload a picture of your enclosure.

I hope this experience doesnt put you off owning a tortoise. Again I am sorry to hear of your loss.
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #8
Liamtw2
Egg

She ate dandelions mainly, rose petals, cucumber, hibiscus etc.
Had her in the garden whenever warm really...
I had one hot end and one cool end which I read was best with shades spots etc.
I had the UV strip light which I replaced every 3 months and 60w heat bulb over the slate to help keep warm.
How do I post a picture?
Old 22-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #9
Liamtw2
Egg

I would really like to get another tortoise as I have always loved tortoises from since I can remember but my partner does not want to feel like she is replacing donatello
Old 08-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #10
CherryBrandy
Adult

please think about getting another tortoise there are so many on the rehoming sites in need of good homes. Sorry to reply so long after your post but one of my tortoises died suddenly and I wanted you to know like you I couldn't understand it. it was a complete and utter shock. Just one day she didn't eat and next she died. . I scoured the sites for a reason. I have kept tortoise in total for 35 years so we don't and won't always know why. Was it preventable? In 48 hours, guess I won't ever know which brings on the floods. I was wondering if we should have a RIP section as it is so devastating I hope I haven't upset you all over again but I give solace to the fact she had a very good loving home which you should too. Just a little look on the rehoming sites may help......

Tags
death, diet, herman's tortoise