Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 15-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Bug
Egg

Default Heating and lighting - newbie advice!

Hi,
I haven't yet got a tortoise, just gathering info!
I'm a little confused by the lighting and heating requirements and how you attain the correct temps. Also, what size tort table is required to achieve the correct temperature gradient?
I understand you can get a combined UVB/heat lamp or separate - which is best? And for how long do you leave the light(s) on for?

Sorry for all the questions but really appreciate any help
Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
rachel.mather
Incubating

Hello!
I'm by no means an expert, but i'll let you know what I do
You get the right temperatures by changing the height of the lamp, to make this easy i have a adjustable lamp stand, it takes some playing around, but just move the lamp up or down until your thermometer reads around the 32 degree mark.

I have a combined bulb as it makes it simpler, I have the 100w arcadia d3, they have good warranty and customer service, so if it blows you can get another.

For the table size, as big as you have space for, as tortoises love to roam!

Hope I could help in some way, as I said I'm not super experienced, and I'm sure an expert will be along soon!
rachel.mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Bug
Egg

Thank you very much! That makes total sense just another question - if you have a really large enclosure, can you end up needing more than one light/hear source? I understand that the UVB needs to be on for about 12 hours a day, so if you have a cOmbined heat/light, do you need a separate light to leave on longer? I noticed a lot of you have table lamps with the bendy stems, is it just a regular bulb for light only? If so, what size bulb do you use?
Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
yuna1971
Adult

Depends on what temps you get with just a combined bulb.
I have a combined bulb but I also have a ceramic heat emitter which is angled in and just off the basking spot. Lily then has a choice where to sit. He can get the UVB and heat under the combined or he may choose just to hang around under the heat emitter just for warmth alone. I only have the CHE on for early mornings. It's on a timer and not on all day - although I may have to change this wih autumn nearly in swing.
The combined is on pretty much constant. Although I do have it go off for an hour or so during the afternoon whilst Lily is napping in his hide xx

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote