Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 01-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
GemmaR
Egg

They're on a 'tortoise substrate'. We used to use a mixture of sand and soil but this seems to have roughly the same consistency and was just a bit easier to deal with. We spray it a once or twice a day to keep it moist.
GemmaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #12
NickyF
Egg

Hi, It's 'tortoise life' Mediterranean substrate.

Last edited by NickyF; 01-12-2015 at 06:34 PM.
NickyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
CherryBrandy
Adult

I think 2nd opinion. The substrate could have got in its eye, foreign body can aggravate it, can be vit A deficiency but that would likely affect both , poke in eye and abscess formed - it looks v swollen. meanwhile nothing wrong with human eye drops - opticom quite good, will sting as its got antibacterial in it in small quantity. CB
Old 01-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #14
burnt toast
Adult

I suspected so. Lots of torts having eye problems from this stuff. Eye problems are the least serious of the problems its been implicated in. Please ditch this substrate asap and swop to just top soil or a mixture of soil and coir.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:01 PM   #15
burnt toast
Adult

You could try Optrex infected eye drops. This is the only optrex with antibiotic. Its pharmacy only and dont say its for an animal or they wont sell it you. (Also available on amazon)
Old 02-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #16
GemmaR
Egg

Ok, thanks very much for your help. If we change the substrate and get the eye drops do you think that there's anything else we ought to do?
GemmaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #17
CherryBrandy
Adult

I would weigh (good indicator of ill health if loses weight) and also bath him more, make sure water is at least 32 degrees and don't leave too long to get cold. his ear on that side looks a little inflamed but cant tell too well on photo, it may be an ear problem though does look very much eye related. usually bit of dirt has got in an irritated it.
If not going back to vet, at first sign of not eating, or gets worse you should really get another opinion if not before if doesn't improve in 3 days. Good luck,let us all know how you get on wont you CB
Old 02-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #18
burnt toast
Adult

If you are unsure about his ear look from the top of his head straight down and compare both sides (usually swollen if an ear problem) You could try adding some abidec to his bathing water. (Liquid vitamins, meant for human babies, safe for torts, okd by herp vet) these are a good pick me up for unwell torts and would adress vitamin deficiency if there (which I dont think there is) they are available from most good chemists and supermarkets add about half an inch to warm water in small bath and keep him in as long as you can, adding hot water if necc (15-20 mins is ideal) try to do this daily.

You coukd also try bathing the eye with a cooled ordinary tea bag until you get or in between eye drop applications this should help sooth his eye. The more often you can apply the eye drops the better as if it has been scratched and bacteria have got in they re populate within 2 hours! I had great success with the eye drops I mentioned a few years ago, after all types of expensive treatments from my vet failed. I happened to see this frequency on line and as I was off work for xmas hols I wore a path up to the garden shed! Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:22 AM   #19
Finsky
Incubating

May I jump in ....I just have to say BIG thank you for all these tips

UK vet's are often very short coming to 'recommend' or should I say pass on hints what remedies can be purchased over the counter for 'emergencies' with animals.
Luckily I do happen to know couple of vets that do occasionally pass on few 'DIY secrets' rather than having to dig deep into purse to pay for my dog's vet to remedy some little things that are easily solved 'in home'.

Every little helps..!
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #20
Jan W
Sub Adult

How are things?

In humans you can buy chloramphenicol eye ointment over the counter, thinking eye ointment would be easier than drops. However, I would not suggest buying it as would recommend vet or expert advice first. I am no expert...

I had a look at a vet site and they do recommend chloramphenicol for tortoises. Also commented that swelling is usually due to a bacterial infection.

Not sure this helps, but if you are discussing with a vet, just thinking ointment easier to use.

Has anyone had any experience with this?
Jan W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eye, hatchlings, hibernation, spur