Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #21
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
I think that 50 uW/cm2 is nowehere near enough for mediterranean species and that is a shocking rate of decay. With a Megaray you do get a really good output of UVB as long as you get one that actually works.

The other thing about UVB bulbs is thay often last a lot longer if used without a shade because of the extreme buid up of heat that you get at the base of the bulb when using a shade. The MVB lamps have reflectors inside them to direct the light anyway. Of course we still need a ceramic holder though.
My hangers are attached to the shades unfortunately. I did wonder though if the holders are actually suitable for all wattages and that it's the shade size which dictates the wattage of bulb, do you know?

Yes the first Solarglo was only giving out 39, I contacted surrey and said it was a crap bulb. They replaced it but didn't actually have to as it was lighting up. The replacement was giving out 50 so not much better and is down to 20 now. The Arcadia states on the box "typically 180 uW/cm2", mine was 182 so not far out. However it isn't guaranteed to be 180 either, only "typically 180"

I had 2 megarays one was only 70 and the other was about 150, both new
Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #22
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
My hangers are attached to the shades unfortunately. I did wonder though if the holders are actually suitable for all wattages and that it's the shade size which dictates the wattage of bulb, do you know.
The shades from different manufacturer's work on the rating of the ceramic fitting and wireing and of course the size.
14cm = 60w Recomended Max
22cm = 100w
25cm = 200w.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #23
yuna1971
Adult

I always go for extra 'room' where holders are concerned. I never let the bulb go to the max of the holder. And recommend to new owners not to either. The holder I have for my MR 120w holds UP TO 160w. However if I did buy a 160w then I would go for higher wattage capacity holder.

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
Old 02-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #24
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

yeah i got a bigger one for my 160w but wondered if removing the shade on the next size down would have meant i could have used it for the 160w anyway
Old 02-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #25
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
The shades from different manufacturer's work on the rating of the ceramic fitting and wireing and of course the size.
14cm = 60w Recomended Max
22cm = 100w
25cm = 200w.
would the ceramic bit and the wires inside the cable not just be all the same on them all and just the size of shade being the only difference between them? like a 160w in a small shade = too much heat rather than wires being thicker or owt?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #26
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
would the ceramic bit and the wires inside the cable not just be all the same on them all and just the size of shade being the only difference between them? like a 160w in a small shade = too much heat rather than wires being thicker or owt?
Maybe the wireing is the same, but there is different rated cables, as for the ceramic holders, i'm sure i saw different rated ones on ebay, just the holder's for sale. so you can make your own up.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #27
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

ah right paul. i never chance electrics at all anyway, i never have any more than 6 adapters in each wall socket
Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #28
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
ah right paul. i never chance electrics at all anyway, i never have any more than 6 adapters in each wall socket
My Dad used to join wires together with a conecter and wrap insulating tape round them if the appliance did'nt reach the socket, and his extra socket wireing, would have give electricians nightmares, they were everywhere.
Old 13-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #29
simon_uk
Egg

Default Darren dunage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
Thanks for the support, its no secret lifes been tough recently and i did let things slip a little for a while, but i am back on top form now, pushing things forward.

We have teamed up with another company and will be adding some fantastic products to the range very soon.

Darren

hi darren

u should remember me from reptile forum.....(shed by the railway) im still waiting for my replacement megaray......we were in contact on reptile forum but i cant access my account anymore so i thought i wud contact u on here seeing as ur not replying to emails or picking up ur calls....if u remember i ordered a 120w megaray back in jan 2010 and u replaced it in july as it was faulty....BUT u sent a 100w out as a replacement and its not hot enough for the large viv.....we have been in constant contact since then on reptile forum and u keep saying u will sort it out and that its on its way....BUT ITS NOT SORTED AND ITS NOT ON ITS WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! otherwise i wouldnt be writing this now wid i.....i need this sorted ASAP even if i have to drive to ur office in Ipswich by the railway i will...i live in colchester so its not far...i think its unfair how u treat ur customers fobbing them off all the time hoping they will get bored or forget.....beleave me i will not get bored or forget....i wont my replacement bulb at the correct wattage please ASAP.....if anyone else has had issues with kimbos please say ur peace on here....i paid £50 for a faulty peace of equipment and then got it replaced with a of less wattage.....if u brought a 42" telly and currys replaced it with a 32" one WOULD U BE HAPPY?????????????????
Old 13-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #30
simon_uk
Egg

hi everyone

this post is mainly for DARREN of kimbos....u may remember me from reptile forum
(shed by the railway) i cant get on reptile forum for some reason so im on here now....so here goes again....i ordered a 120watt megaray from u back in jan 2010 then u replaced it in july as it was faulty......BUT u replaced it with a 100w which isnt hot enough for my large viv....its noe december and i still havent had the correct bulb sent out even tho u keep saying "i will sort it today" " its on its way" "u should have it now" WELL ITS NOT ON ITS WAY AND I DONT HAVE IT OR I WOULDNT BE CONTACTING U YET AGAIN......i think its very unfair how u treat ur customers just fobbing them off and hoping they will get bored or just forget...WELL IM NOT GOING TO GET BORED OR FORGET....i paid £50 for a peace of equipment from u and i would like a working version of what a paid for please.....its not like i havent been paitent...ive been waiting since july for this now and im REALLY NOT HAPPY as if u havent noticed....if anyone else on here is/has had probelms with kimbos u need to speak up and be heard...if u brought a 42" telly and it was faulty and currys replaced it with a 32" one wud u be happy....i really need this sorted ASAP please darren i live in colchester and i know ur office is in ispwich i wud even be willing to come to u to sort this out or meet u half way...i have been to ur offices before so i know where they are.....PLEASE DARREN I REALLY WANT THIS SORTED OUT i dont want to be chasing u around all the forums to get a reply
Closed Thread