Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 11-01-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
KingsfanJay
Egg

Question Mega Ray Bulbs?

Ordered quite a bit of stock from Kimbos Reptile Store when I was getting my set up sorted but I was wondering if anyone has had any issues with their megaray bulbs?

I got a 120W bulb and after 2 weeks of using it I had already experienced problems with it flickering, and one day turning itself off. Just after the 2 weeks of using the bulb (on my birthday as well), I had taken the tortoises to the vets to get them checked over, when I came home I was surprised to see that the bulb was smoking. I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else?

I went to Pets at Home (who I hate as a rule but this was needed urgently for tortoises) I got a bulb which works the same as the megaray, but was actually cheaper. Since the 27th Nov I have had no problems with this other bulb. The problem is I was very happy to keep using the mega ray bulbs when I got my replacement as my guarantee was nowhere near up, as my breeder highly recommends it and I want what’s best for them not what is cheapest. But since having the problem and e-mailing Kimbos 3 times since I have not had a single response from Darren regarding my situation.

Does anyone know anywhere else that does Mega Ray bulbs thats actually reliable? Or should I give up on the mega ray and use an alternative? Any recommendations welcome. Although I must add I am only a student at university so I don't have lots of money to spare which is why this is soo annoying as not only did I pay £50 for a mega ray but then an added £40 on a replacement.

Thanks for your time
Jay
KingsfanJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
tortoise lover
Hatchling

Hi jay, I have got a problem at the moment with my 6 month old megaray,it isnt smoking but it seems to be overheating,the temparature in the basking area is reading with a very accurate thermometer 165f which is way to high,it would prob frizzle my tortoise. I got mine from kimbos as well. I have emailed him but if no reply i will ring direct to his shop. The light i had before i never had any problems with watsoever so might invest in another one instead of the megaray. Hope you get sorted out like me, kim
tortoise lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I was given this information recently...

Quote:
The only other lamps that match the MegaRays for UV output, width of beam, and longevity are the "other MegaRays" - lamps also made by Westron, in the same factory as the MegaRay. These are sold under the brand names T-Rex Active UV Heat Flood and Komodo UV-Sun
I think this is them http://www.petzoo.co.uk/product_info...roducts_id=526 but you need to watch where you get them as this site is £21 more http://www.everythingforpets.com/t_r...d.4868.dept.7/

Komodo http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Komodo-uv-sun-...91206165002r20 that's a decent price. You can see from the pic that it is actually just a Megaray, looks identical to mine, pity they didn't sell them in shops so they'd be easy to take back if any problems. The fish supplier I used to deal with can get just about anything so I might have a word with him

Don't email Darren, just phone him

Last edited by Alan1; 11-01-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I wish someone would come up with a lamp that was both reliable and long lasting. Arcadia are bringing a bulb out in the Spring but it's 160w. It has proved to be good in tests though
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
Evie
Sub Adult

I have always been lucky with my Megaray bulbs - they do have a tendency to flicker for the first few hours but shouldn't smoke !!!!

Darren has always been very helpful and I am sure there is a good reason he has been unable to answer your e-mails.

I always used Powersun before and had no problems with them - unfortunately they are quite expensive too.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
clairestortoise
Juvenile

Send a message via MSN to clairestortoise

I have to say, my bulb did play up for the first week or two, Just turning itself off and on again but no smoke or anything like that, I emailed Darren and did get a response a day or so later. He was more than happy to exchange if it did continue. Its ok now...Think it has to bed in...My lamp is fine now fingers cross...At £50 a go you want something good!!!

9 Cats, Wallace 15, Blackie 10, Scooby&Phoebe(Bro&Sis) 9, Gucci 6, Snuggles 5 and Oliver 3 and Blossom and Billy 10 months old

Tye 9 Yr old Yorkie

2 children

1 Husband

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...e&id=523711412

clairestortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #7
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Komodo have just done a big rep call on a lot of reptile/fish shops in our area, i know of a couple here that are stocking there product range, in your area it might be worth ringing round some
Old 12-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Jillyp
Hatchling

My Megaray blew after one day and it did take a while for a replacement. Personally I wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole and am currently using a Hobby UV All-day 160W
Old 15-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Dazza
Adult

any issues contact me : darren@megaray.co.uk

we did have a very bad batch last year, and of the currant stock we are still getting the odd blinker, but nothing like we were getting.

Its all being resolved..

Darren
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
Eire_Ade
Super Moderator
Adult

I have had a trex active UV for nearly 3 years now but is starting to play up a bit turning itself on and off, I have a new spare one so lets hope this one lasts as long.

However I did have a problem with my 1st bulb being faulty but that was replaced and also the one I got for Mum's tortoises blew within a few days but both replacements have been ok so far since apart from mine recently going off and on, but I expect this is due to it comming to the end of its good life.

I think these mercury vapour bulbs are the best for our reptiles and like evrything in life, not everything is perfect and the 6 months warranty is good and likewise speak as you find, I have never had a problem with anything I have purchased from Dazza at Kimbos.

My Tortoises :- Dug (Testudo Graeca Ibera Terrestris (Syrian), Penny, JJ (JennyJack), Buttons and Gem (Testudo Graeca Ibera)
Eire_Ade is offline   Reply With Quote