Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 15-03-2009, 05:28 PM   #21
Kristy
Hatched

Yes that would be the same branch of pets at home that recently told me combined heat and uvb bulbs don't exist!!! Should they really be selling tortoises when they are unaware of the basic equipment? I dread to think...
Kristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 05:49 PM   #22
beckyzazou
Hatched

I don't think that the UK will ever be self sufficient, because our breeders are responsible - We hope! and would not sell a tort or turt to someone that we are not happy with. Generally, I feel that if a customer walks into a shop with the money they will be sold a tort or turt. Afterall, the customer is always right.

Therefore, I believe that there will always be a market for torts in this kind of establishment as breeders would turn some people away. I certainly would if I was not 100% happy.

Personally I think we should go down the road of registered breeders only.
beckyzazou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #23
Kirkie
Adult

Beckyzazou,

this reminded me of something from the back end of last year. A glimmer of hope so to speak!

Quote from the original Pets at home thread:

There is a scheme...in the making....in the north west of co-ordinating a group of breeders to providing tortoises through their own retail outlet...and to supply all equipment and ongoing care...this is a few years down the line yet.....
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #24
Sarahm
Incubating

I went into Pets at Home today and they were selling Hermans, i was pretending to look at the rabbits as one of the employees was talking to lady with a small child who was interested in buying one of them for her daughter. I thought i would listen in to see what advice she was giving...Her advice was..
They are really easy to look after, once you have set the Viv up with the correct lighting and heat you put the tortoise in and leave it to it... The lady asked about the Viv and the lights...the girl said that they sell all the equipment she would need and she should leave the UV light and heat on 24hrs...The lady asked about feeding and the girl said that their diet consisted of Veg such as Brocolli, cauliflower, lettuce and cabbage, fruit, banna, apple, strawberry... The lady was uming as to whether to buy one, the girl was saying that they dont need a lot of care at all, at which point i butted in and said they dont need to be in a viv for a start and they dont need to be fed on veg, the lady looked at me and said really? Why? I said because it is the incorrect diet and a Viv will kill them...with that i walked off, i really do feel like going back and speaking to the manager of the store... when i went back to look at the Hermans they were so tiny and they were being fed on Carrots and brocolli...
"I know if I am going to have any life anymore it is because, I am still willing to fight, and die for that inch because that is what LIVING is. The six inches in front of your face." (Any Given Sunday)
Sarahm is offline   Reply With Quote