Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 09-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Default B&Q offcuts £1

I'm extending my tort tables and was in B&Q warehouse for wood and noticed they had loads of offcuts at £1 each

For £2 I got 2 pieces at 2ft square of quarter inch thick MDF which is coated on both sides like laminate flooring, ideal as a base. It is wood effect like flooring but has no joins in it so must have been cut from large sheets, maybe used for shop flooring. They also had chipboard, plywood MDF, hardboard etc at assorted sizes for £1 and £2.

Worth having a look at the timber cutting area for a trolley with all these on it. That was in Fort Kinnaird Edinburgh but seen them elsewhere too before.

For the sides I'm using 2100 x 145 x 16mm flooring (x2 high), £17 a pack of 5 or £3.96 each

*WARNING - READ BELOW

Last edited by Alan1; 09-10-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Gordon
Adult

Hi alan i dont want to put the fear of god up you but be very carefull with mdf i had a lot of chamelions die when i made some vivs with it i think there was a reaction with it being damp from spraying water i know you said it was laminated but i personally will never use it again
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

MDF can be a dodgy material although i have known tables to be made of it, also they are usualy lined out so this may be enough to make it safe.
When MDF is cut a large quantity of dust particles are released into the air. It is important that a respirator be worn and the material be cut in a controlled and ventilated environment. It is a good practice to seal the exposed edges to limit the emissions from the binders contained in this material.
Formaldehyde resins are commonly used to bind MDF together, and testing has consistently revealed that MDF products emit urea-formaldehyde and other volatile organic compounds that pose health risks at sufficient concentrations, for at least several months after manufacture.[4][5][6] Urea-formaldehyde is always being slowly released from the surface of MDF. When painting it is good idea to coat the whole of the product in order to seal in the urea-formaldehyde. Wax and oil finishes may be used as finishes but they are less effective at sealing in the urea-formaldehyde.[2]
Whether these constant emissions of formaldehyde reach harmful levels in real-world environments is not yet fully determined. The primary concern is for the industries using formaldehyde. As far back as 1987 the U.S. EPA classified it as a "probable human carcinogen" and after more studies the WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), in 1995, also classified it as a "probable human carcinogen". Further information and evaluation of all known data led the IARC to reclassify formaldehyde as a "known human carcinogen"[7] associated with nasal sinus cancer and nasopharyngeal cancer, and possibly with leukemia in June 2004.[8]
Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnip View Post
Hi alan i dont want to put the fear of god up you but be very carefull with mdf i had a lot of chamelions die when i made some vivs with it i think there was a reaction with it being damp from spraying water i know you said it was laminated but i personally will never use it again
Interesting. I've never heard of that before, could it have been mould spores that killed them? I know mould can be deadly to torts too.

The front and back of this stuff is waterproof so will be safe enough, I put vinyl down as well for easy cleaning
Old 09-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 shells View Post
MDF can be a dodgy material although i have known tables to be made of it, also they are usualy lined out so this may be enough to make it safe.
When MDF is cut a large quantity of dust particles are released into the air. It is important that a respirator be worn and the material be cut in a controlled and ventilated environment. It is a good practice to seal the exposed edges to limit the emissions from the binders contained in this material.
Formaldehyde resins are commonly used to bind MDF together, and testing has consistently revealed that MDF products emit urea-formaldehyde and other volatile organic compounds that pose health risks at sufficient concentrations, for at least several months after manufacture.[4][5][6] Urea-formaldehyde is always being slowly released from the surface of MDF. When painting it is good idea to coat the whole of the product in order to seal in the urea-formaldehyde. Wax and oil finishes may be used as finishes but they are less effective at sealing in the urea-formaldehyde.[2]
Whether these constant emissions of formaldehyde reach harmful levels in real-world environments is not yet fully determined. The primary concern is for the industries using formaldehyde. As far back as 1987 the U.S. EPA classified it as a "probable human carcinogen" and after more studies the WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), in 1995, also classified it as a "probable human carcinogen". Further information and evaluation of all known data led the IARC to reclassify formaldehyde as a "known human carcinogen"[7] associated with nasal sinus cancer and nasopharyngeal cancer, and possibly with leukemia in June 2004.[8]
I remember when MDF came on the scene there were concerns about it when cutting it. I had forgotten about it

Can't remember when it came on the scene but when I quit being a joiner back in 1977 it wasn't on the go then.

I might be safer using a couple of bits of asbestos

Last edited by Alan1; 09-10-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
I remember when MDF came on the scene there were concerns about it when cutting it. I had forgotten about it

Can't remember when it came on the scene but when I quit being a joiner back in 1977 it wasn't on the go then.

I might be safer using a couple of bits of asbestos
My after Hibernation Hermans table indie shed is MDF it is safe paint coated and is lined with the plassy sheet anyway. The viv's that are made of it and sprayed will be no where for the chemical's to leach if any, trapped behind glass if you know what i'm getting at. Maybe unsafe this way. Ive cut MDF before with no mask and is still here~~~ (cough cough)