Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Where to Buy and Bargains

Old 25-02-2010, 12:10 AM   #71
andybrock
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
it's the celts for me.

Westron will be a bit like Northern Foods who make or used to make ready meals for M&S, Asda and Sainsbury, same stuff different plastic and cardboard

westron http://www.westronlighting.com/wnews.html

partners http://www.westronlighting.com/wpartners.html

Makes you laugh when you read on their site:

The colaboration of ReptileUV and Westron has produced, what is regarded as the highest quality - most consistant mercury vapour lamp

See how the ReptileUV - Mega-Ray lamps stand out for its excellence.

Yeah ok but they dont work correctly and customer service is non existant.
I cant believe that no one can produce a lamp which is reliable in a huge market
andybrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #72
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

That is the way of the world now, you can claim anything, but don't have to honour it.
Old 25-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #73
Kirkie
Adult

Rach,

if you want a bulb now, go for the t Rex active uv heat 100w. I've beenrunnimg one for a few weeks and it's fine and putting out very acceptable levels of UVB without major degredation. I really hope the new 100w megaray calms the waters a bit and it has stability and a good UVB life as I still think they are the best mvb I've used in terms of what a tortoise gets out of it.

I think what would be of use are some operational parameters from the manufacturer. These are supplied with most domestic electrical items and it would be useful to have recommendations in terms of suitable fittings, ambient temperatures, storage of the bulb when not in use, etc etc. Information that may lengthen the life expectancy of the bulb.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #74
Kirkie
Adult

By the way I can't speak for the Komodo bulb but the t Rex isn't just a rebadged megaray.It is a westron manufactured bulb and I believe the head honcho at reptile uv had some input in the design?

As for why megaray are not in shops, I believe Kimbos is the uk distributor on behalf of reptile uv. In an email to me a while back darren told me the MR bulbs on sale on another uk site were sourced via him. Sure darren is better placed to explain this than me though.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #75
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

there's a shop in wales too

If they can't get over the problem of the UK voltage then nothing will change. A German company.. had the exact same problem with their UK version of their bulb - JBL Solar-UV Spot
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #76
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

I have to say I am very pleased with mine. The first one lasted 18 months. The second one blew as soon as I put it on, but Darren give me a new bulb straight away and I have had that one a while now with no problems at all.
I always have uv tubes as back up encase anything happens, but must have been lucky. I've only ever paid for one megaray as the second one was a prize and I had not used, it as my first one was working well. Darren replaced it straight away and I suppose he didn't need to as I had no reciept as I did not buy it.
I would definitely keep buying MG as I have no reason myself not too.
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #77
yuna1971
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkie View Post
Rach,

if you want a bulb now, go for the t Rex active uv heat 100w. I've beenrunnimg one for a few weeks and it's fine and putting out very acceptable levels of UVB without major degredation. I really hope the new 100w megaray calms the waters a bit and it has stability and a good UVB life as I still think they are the best mvb I've used in terms of what a tortoise gets out of it.

I think what would be of use are some operational parameters from the manufacturer. These are supplied with most domestic electrical items and it would be useful to have recommendations in terms of suitable fittings, ambient temperatures, storage of the bulb when not in use, etc etc. Information that may lengthen the life expectancy of the bulb.
Thanks Kirkie,
The T Rex eh?? I was gonna try the Komodo...but they are made by Westron so still bit unsure of which to try. But I trust you...so I am gonna try the one you recommended first. Excellent. Just what I wanted to hear.
With regards to my feelings on the MR. Its not that I dont think yes, they are the best bulb,that isnt in dispute for me. But like I said before - they are not at the moment, they have problems and just cant be relied on. (perhaps others are the same in that respect). Once MR sorts their problems out - maybe when they go back to the 100w, i will purchase one again, but not at this time. Just cant trust it enough. So the only option is to go for something not made by westron - and is next down the line.
Kirkie - I will google prices anyway but have you a good site where they can be bought ?
Thanks guys - as usual Paul/Alan/Dave - a wealth of fabulous information and sound discussion! xx Dont know what I would do without you!!

Lily's Movie.
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=68025
yuna1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #78
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

The T-REX is still made by Westron Rachel but it doesn't look the same as the megarays and it might be a different 'recipe'

Don't forget there are the Powersuns too but I think there are still problems with those as well
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #79
yuna1971
Adult

We are trapped in a WESTRON bubble....or a "BULB NOT SO GOOD" bubble, AL !!!
Still might try both...gosh, one gotta work surely. Its an awful situation for everyone. Like Paul said, in the old days there were not a sniff of these types of all-conquering bulbs but we still see torts that are growing old and healthy with it.

Lily's Movie.
Old 25-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #80
yuna1971
Adult

This was the site I was trying to remember earlier in this post

Probably most have come accross this site, here is a link charting various UV/heat combi bulb performance. The rest of the site is an interesting read too.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/spreadchartcombo.htm

Also here is the report on the T Rex Narrow flood 100w that Kirkie talked about. Yes..Westron made though.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapourn...uvheatnewflood

Kirkie - seems like the T Rex one used to be 100w but now is 120w?? It says on one of the sites I have looked on that they are testing the 120w?
"Please note: The Trex Active UVB has recently changed from 100w to a 120w bulb, currently they are undergoing EC testing for sale within europe. Due to the wattage change" - from reptilekeeping.com
Kirkie do you have these newer ones or the older ones, the newer ones according to the UVguide site, says they have some sort of milky coating on the bulb - have you heard of any problems with this?? Are the newer ones ...better than the old ones.
Tell you what everyone...I am SO SCARED of buying any of these bulbs now when you think of what harm they could do - with some of the problems with this coating etc...and harmful uv...
Any advice on any thing I have said here...i know I am starting to do my OTT bit again!!

Lily's Movie.

Last edited by yuna1971; 25-02-2010 at 02:08 PM.