Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 09-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Bec93
Egg

Default Humidity for a Tunisian tortoise

Hello, I have been investigating ways to maintain humidity for a Tunisian tortoise in a 4ft by 2ft tortoise table- someone recommended a USB humidifier, does anyone use these?
Or could anyone recommend the best methods they use?
Also how often do people soak their torts!
Thanks, Becky
Bec93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec93 View Post
Hello, I have been investigating ways to maintain humidity for a Tunisian tortoise in a 4ft by 2ft tortoise table- someone recommended a USB humidifier, does anyone use these?
Or could anyone recommend the best methods they use?
Also how often do people soak their torts!
Thanks, Becky
When I had a Tunisian, I did not have to do anything with the humidity. Other than bathing daily:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
Gordon
Adult

If you are keeping it on soil then I would spray it no more than once a week they do not do well with a lot of humidity also you will need to keep your temps up day and night a good 33 daytime and no lower than 20 at night otherwise your tort WILL get rns.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #4
Bec93
Egg

Default Heat at night

Thanks for the help, as i said i plan on having a tortoise table-at the moment my flat gets to around 13 degrees at night- i was planning on a mercury vapour bulb for day time but should i also get a ceramic or something like that at night?

thanks
Bec93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
CherryBrandy
Adult

I would certainly invest in a moon light (bulb) for some heat or ceramic (might be too hot) as your tortoise will benefit - you have to think if he goes down to 13 degrees how long will it take him to get moving in the morning when they can't warm themselves up as they are cold blooded so he will probably not move much and if then did go under the heat lamp will take a while to warm up to eat, digest etc - saying that you may have a moon light and he may not stay under it for the night so keep any eye as ambient temp will drop with the seasons. My Egyptian tortoise goes down to 15 at night and is still active eating etc, but I do keep an eye on her. Hope that helps - post a picky wont you, CB
Old 11-02-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
Andy Robertson
Hatched

Hi, maybe a bit late, but haven’t been on here in a long while. I have been working in Tunisia for the last four years and during the winter between December, January and February temps have very rarely been above 23c, in fact most of January they were not above 18c, night temps are between 0c - 8c. July, August it has been between 38c - 48c and night time 25c - 30c.
December/January are very wet, mornings have a lot of due for the first couple of hours. Although these temps are on the outskirts of Sfax, I know it is a lot colder inland with temps dropping below 0c in the desert.
Hope this helps a little bit.
Andy Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humidity, tortoise care, tunisian