Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
EJ
Adult

I would suggest not changing a thing. As long as the tortoise can get away from that humidity if it chooses.

It would be nice if you post some photos a few months after keeping the tortoises at those temps and humidity. I would not be surprised if you got perfect development of the shell.

If it's drying out that quick I think you are on the right track.

I'm assuming when you say Malta... you mean you're from the island of Malta? If that's the case it is probably quite dry on the island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeImNot View Post
Hi Guys,

what are your views on humidity for Hermanns, especially at night while asleep. I'm misting the soil where mine sleeps and found it to be 80% humidity with a temp of 24C....am I overdoing it with the misting? I sometimes see a watery eye in the morning and wanted to make sure there's no dust while she's asleep.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
MeImNot
Incubating

Well its humid on the inside over here too, but she'll start sleeping outside this weekend, I know its stupid but I hate leaving my pet sleeping outside, still getting to terms with her being a wild animal
MeImNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
MeImNot
Incubating

Hi Ed, yes its the island of Malta, heat and humidity galore Unfortunately I dont have the means of keeping my tort outside all year round, so pictures may not show exactly what you want to see...also probably I'll choose to overwinter her, I need to ask about that in due time

On the island the air is very humid all year round but we have all the symptoms of dryness in summer i.e. all grass turns to hay, all waterpaths are dry, soil is dusty etc., the air gets a little dry when we have northern winds, which is not that often.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #14
EJ
Adult

I got the impression it is relatively dry for a good part of the year which is typical of the Med. climate.

I've been to the Canarys(I know not Med. islands but they do share the same climate). I know it's dry there.

Needless to say... I don't think you should change a thing.

Quote:
Hi Ed, yes its the island of Malta, heat and humidity galore Unfortunately I dont have the means of keeping my tort outside all year round, so pictures may not show exactly what you want to see...also probably I'll choose to overwinter her, I need to ask about that in due time

On the island the air is very humid all year round but we have all the symptoms of dryness in summer i.e. all grass turns to hay, all waterpaths are dry, soil is dusty etc., the air gets a little dry when we have northern winds, which is not that often.
and
Old 09-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #15
MeImNot
Incubating

So, after years looking at the weather forecast and seeing humidity over 80% all summer...I actually left my temp/humidity monitor outside and well @11am it was 30c/50% humidity in the shade, its now 6pm and the reading is 28c/75%. I should probably take this more seriously and create a chart, I think it would be very beneficial for all members here to look at actual temp/humidity figures at exactly the middle of the Mediterranean basin. Thanks for opening my eyes on this Ed!!

I have created another nest for her with well misted soil and big mallow leaves (they're silky and retain humidity)...she went running there, ate one of the leaves and went sleeping in her usual mildly misted soil only nest

She'll be sleeping outside from tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
EJ
Adult

I'm willing to bet you can find a historic weather chart for Malta. I'm also willing to bet there is a huge seasonal varience.

Quote:
So, after years looking at the weather forecast and seeing humidity over 80% all summer...I actually left my temp/humidity monitor outside and well @11am it was 30c/50% humidity in the shade, its now 6pm and the reading is 28c/75%. I should probably take this more seriously and create a chart, I think it would be very beneficial for all members here to look at actual temp/humidity figures at exactly the middle of the Mediterranean basin. Thanks for opening my eyes on this Ed!!

I have created another nest for her with well misted soil and big mallow leaves (they're silky and retain humidity)...she went running there, ate one of the leaves and went sleeping in her usual mildly misted soil only nest

She'll be sleeping outside from tomorrow.
and
Old 29-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #17
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

If you are still there Ed, I found out that our poster is right about the high humidity on Malta. In the summer it can be 80% in high temperatures! No problem there with excess dry heat.
Old 29-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #18
EJ
Adult

I don't have a great deal of first hand knowledge about Malta but if it is true to form with the Mediterranean it runs wet and dry to an extreme. My buddy lives on Gran Canaria... I'm guessing it is similar to Malta even though it is not in the Mediterranean as such. I'd call it a desert type island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric Jonathan View Post
If you are still there Ed, I found out that our poster is right about the high humidity on Malta. In the summer it can be 80% in high temperatures! No problem there with excess dry heat.
and
Old 29-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
MeImNot
Incubating

Hi Guys,

I have travelled across all the mediterranenan area, from Spain to Turkey and I've never experienced excess dry heat (like for example when I was in Phoenix, AZ). The only times we have some dry heat is when we have Northernly winds, which in the summer are rare (unfortunately).

I've never been to the Canary islands so cant really compare, but from what friends visiting there told me I dont think they have the high/low peaks we have here, its kind of avarage temp there. At the moment the temp here is peaking at 35C with a night temp of 22C.
Old 29-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #20
MeImNot
Incubating

Its 30C in the shade now and my Hermanni is waiting for the sun to come in the usual place...its unbelievable how she spends 45min-1hr every day in that extreme heat...I reckon it goes over 45C in her sun spot (I have to measure it).

Tags
humidity